DesignBuilder Model Results Viewed in Honeybee

Hi,

I am trying to open my DesignBuilder model in Honeybee to create some visualizations of the results. I did the following steps to get the model to work in Honeybee but the ‘Face Results by Type’ component doesn’t work.

Steps taken to convert the file:

• added IDF file to DesignBuilder model so it is exporting the EnergyPlus variables needed.
  • turned on the SQL file output
  • exported the EnergyPlus idf file and converted it to V22.2

No error appears on the ‘Face Results by Type’ component but it does not separate the data.

My files include:
EnergyPlus idf file V22.2: Test Project.idf (138.1 KB)
IDF variable input file:
24_01_04_DB Inputs.idf (3.9 KB)
Grasshopper File:
DesignBuilder Conversion.gh (33.5 KB)

Any help would be appreciated!

Hey @ELeriche ,

This is happening because none of the result data are matching correctly with the object identifiers in the imported IDF model. This is because honeybee is written to work across several simulation engines, including Radiance, which does not support spaces in the ids of geometry objects like E+ does. So, when we import IDF objects to Honeybee objects, we replace spaces and remove invalid Radiance characters from the EnergyPlus names to make things compatible. You can see this in the source code here:

If you just edit the data collection headers of the results to do the same cleaning process, you can get the results to match correctly:

DesignBuilder Conversion_FIXED.gh (48.6 KB)

This works great - thank you Chris!!

1 Like