Detailed HVAC cannot be used in load balances of thermal energy

Hi there,

I modelled a building using HB. When I assign the HVAC system to Ideal Air, the system works and Openstudio engine simulates all the details.
But when I change the HVAC to something else, like choosing Detailed HVAC or other system, the cooling, and heating and sometimes hot water result is empty. I receive the following error message:

Error Message:

1. The following Rooms use HVAC systems other than Ideal Air.
    The cooling and heating results for detailed HVAC are electricity and
    fuel, which cannot be used in load balances of thermal energy.
    Either replace these detailed HVAC systems with Ideal Air Systems or
    use the “HB Annual Loads” component to get a load balance these
    roomswith detailed HVAC:

closedOffice_97
corridor_40
closedOffice_16
closedOffice_73
closedOffice_95
conference_16
kitchen_6
breakroom_3
closedOffice_4
closedOffice_24
closedOffice_25
closedOffice_26
closedOffice_27
closedOffice_72
lift_4
stairs_8
closedOffice_96
corridor_3
closedOffice_5
closedOffice_29
…

I would really appreciate it if you could kindly let me know what the challenge is and how I can address that.

HB Annual loads does not give me hourly with timesteps simulation results which I am looking for.

Thanks very much in advance.

Sincerely,
Behnam

Follow the answer

2 Likes

I think the challenge and the error I have is different

The challenge in your provided link is about to assign energy consumption contribution for each room. The linkage wire is ok in that system while for me the results is empty

This is the same problem as the link

Hey @behnammmohseni ,

@LuizHVAC is correct that you won’t be able to make load balances for rooms with detailed HVAC unless you use the “HB Annual Loads” component to get the balance.

Does your model have any thermostat setpoints assigned to the Rooms? If you assign a HVAC system but no setpoints, it’s effectively the same as having no cooling or heating at all.

If you have setpoints, then we might be able to tell you what is going on if you can upload a minimal sample file that helps us recreate your case on our end.

2 Likes

Hey @chris

I tried my best to prepare a simplified example of what I am trying to simulate (the real file is about 2GB). Please find the attached gh file.

I added setpoints for kitchen and I used HVAC + heat pump with SHW. I can see that there are results for cooling, heating and hot water, however the balance shows red warnings

I do really appreciate it if you could kindly have a look at the file and recommend me what to do.

Many thanks in advance for your time and help.

Sincerely,
Behnam
EnergyModeling_test1.gh (234.5 KB)

Hi @behnammmohseni ,

Your sample file does not have geometry internalized in it so it is not much help. Just use the HB Annual Loads component to get your energy balance instead of the Model To OSM component.

Here is a sample file that shows you how to do this.

1 Like

@chris thanks very much:)

1 Like