Do shading objects impact ventilation in Honeybee?

Hello everyone,

I am simulating the impact of window shading and opening on indoor thermal comfort.

The shading devices I am simulating are external wood panels that are placed to cover completely the windows. I modelled them as a continuous plane separated 10cm from the window plane.

Do these shading objects obstruct somehow ventilation in Hobeybee? Or it does not affect (unless I use HB Window Opening component and modify discharge coefficient)?

I don’t believe they do, you could check big ladder and the energy plus documentation.

I would change the discharge coefficient to account for it as you suggested.

hello there,

The calculation of the ventilation is based on the coefficient factors that are applied to each opening, and on the wind profile. This calculation is performed by E+, an engine that calculates the energy heat transfer between spaces.
Elements blocking ventilation are a fluids problem, which can only be solved using a CFD simulation, which is a different technology than E+.

Therefore no, ventilation is not affected by it, Honeybee (E+) has no way to take that into account.
Modifying the discharge coefficient is the most sensible workaround for your exercise without overcomplicating it.

1 Like

Hello, i have a follow up question regarding exterior shadings impact on the natural ventilation. I have exterior PVC shading that lowers to 70% when the internal temperature of the zone is at 23°C, the dicharge coef would therefore be lower when the shades are lowered than when they are open.

TLDR : Is there any way to set the discharge coef on a schedule that corresponds with the exterior shade schedule?

Thanks in advance !

Hi! I wanted to do something similar, but I wasn’t able to solve it. I also made a question about it, but no one answered it: