Dragonfly Creating Duplicate Room IDs that Mess Up Daylight Sensor Grids

Hello @Aliarch @chris and @AbrahamYezioro ,
I am experimenting with the urban daylight simulation workflow posted here and I’ve noticed a strange behavior in the creation of the grids. The example file provided by @chris works well, however, if I try to have a different floor height for the ground floor (say 4.5m) for some unknown reason the results are completely messed up by that. By checking the grids coming out from the HB Sensor Grid from Rooms component, I noticed that the choice of changing the ground floor height makes its name to lose the word “Ground”, becoming a duplicate name of the first floor, thus messing up the entire simulation’s results.
I really don’t understand why such a change would produce that. Since the separation between top/bottom floors occurs after in the workflow, I would have expected that if something should happen it would have been after that, not before.

Is it a bug or am I missing some of the logic behind the workflow?
Thank you in advance for any clarification
Matteo

SAME FLOORS’ HEIGHT

Same_floor_height (grids)

DIFFERENT HEIGHT FOR THE GROUND FLOOR

Diffferent_ground_floor_height (grids)

urban_daylight_simulation (1).gh (89.6 KB)

1 Like

Hi @Matteo,
The model is pretty heavy to test. I took one of the smallest building for that and found no problem in the results with either height for the ground floor (3.5, 4.5). Like so:

Can’t explain what is going on on your side … :frowning:
Can you test what happens when you try just a couple of buildings (or even just one)?
-A.

Thanks, @Matteo and @AbrahamYezioro ,

I hope you don’t mind that I moved this to a new topic since the original one was already solved.

This is, indeed a bug. It seems that Dragonfly should be naming the Rooms with a unique ID so that the Sensor Grid IDs are unique. Give me an hour or so and I’ll plan to push a fix.

I added the fix here:

It should be available with the LB Versioner in an hour or so.

I also verified that all of the sensor grid names are unique after the fix:

Granted, I know that the names sound very similar but the fact that the length of the set and the starting length are the same shows they are all unique and won’t cause this issue anymore.

3 Likes

Hello @chris
I think I have just found another occasion when duplicate room IDs are created, causing issue with daylight sensor grids and results. You can see in the figure what happens. The problem occurs when there are different stories one over each other and I use the split_mid_ option of the “DF Separate Top Bottom” component.

Hope is useful to point out and an easy fix!
Matteo

Hi @Matteo ,

Sorry for such a late response. I can’t recreate the issue using the latest version of Dragonfly:

test_unique_room_ids.gh (39.7 KB)

Is there something wrong about the sample file that I set up? Or can you provide a sample file that recreates the issue?

From what I can tell, the previous fix that I added also addresses this new case here.

1 Like

Hi @chris

Yes, everything looks correct in your sample file. I double checked mine and I think I was making a mistake in the data processing by pruning data-trees, thus loosing information along the way.

Thank you for double checking it and sorry for the oversight,
Best

Matteo

1 Like