Dynamic air infiltration rate

Hello,

I model historical buildings which have a high air infiltration rate (a minimum of 7 dm3/s). I would like to compare different insulation scenarios for this model. The air infiltration can be reduced by implementing more insulation. As insulation improves, the infiltration values decreased, and new infiltration values should be provided.

I would like to know if there is a way to automatically get the infiltration values based on the insulation level (in honeybee) and without setting these manually for each scenarios using this component:

What would be the best way to approach this?

Thank you!

hi @mkdg,

you can make a small Ironpython script.

"""Provides a scripting component.
    Inputs:
        x: The x script variable
        y: The y script variable
    Output:
        a: The a output variable"""

__author__ = "ebe"
__version__ = "2021.04.23"

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs
if x==2:
    a=0.0007
if x==3:
    a=0.0006
if x==4:
    a=0.0005
if x==5:
    a=0.0003
1 Like

Thank you @Erikbeeren ! I’ve thought that there are maybe some default infiltration values already integrated in the components. Do you know if I don’t give an input there, what default value will it give?
Does the infiltration value change automatically based on the amount of insulation set in the constructions?
Thank you!

Hi @mkdg,

Perhaps when using “HB Building Vintages” values of insultation and infiltration are preset.
I never have worked with them however.

1 Like

My opinion is that the insulation has little or non influence in the infiltration rate (see here for example, in the conclusions section).
The important factor is the sealing of the exterior envelope (details of the facade) rather than insulation.
-A.

1 Like

Thank you!
I decided to take this indicator as a separate input in my retrofit options:
→ crack sealing applied, InfilRate = 0.0003 (average building)
→ no crack sealing, InfilRate = 0.0006 (leaky building)