Dynamic Shade Groups and Scheduling States

Thank you @mikkel.
So, if I go for a BSDF representing clear glass I should be fine. Makes sense. thank you.

Regards,
Fazel

Actually it is possible as long as the first state is a BSDF state. I have identified why and where in the code it causes issues, but I will wait to push the solution until I have checked that it does not mess up anything else. For now you can just swap the order of the glass state and the BSDF state.

1 Like

another thing comes up…

simulation.zip (147.0 KB)

The new xml file is missing scattering data:

2 Likes

Sorry. My bad, I should have checked the BSDF file (it is empty). Indeed this is a bug from LBNL Window v8. Thanks for the heads up.
Best,
Fazel

Hi @mikkel,

Could you please help me why this doesnt work for Dynamic Aperture Group? (It works fine by bypassing this feature). What does make it not working for multiphase simulation?

6_annual_daylight_v3.gh (98.7 KB)

Thanks,
Fazel

Hi @fazel.ganji,

Right now the aperture group features in annual-daylight rely on room based models. It uses the rooms to find which aperture groups belong to each grid. Technically there is ways to bypass this by setting the light path property for each sensor grid, but this not exposed in a user-friendly way (yet).

I have attached an edited file with rooms that should work for you.
6_annual_daylight_v3_edited.gh (107.0 KB)

EDIT: And FYI, the issue with the ordering of BSDF and non-BSDF modifiers that you identified yesterday should be fixed now if you use LB Versioner to update the core libraries.

2 Likes

Thank you @mikkel.

Cheers,
Fazel

Hey @mikkel, When do you think this feature will be available as gh component?

Thanks,
Fazel

Hi @fazel.ganji,

When the LEED recipe is rolled out, which is being finalized at the moment.

But it is technically possible right now. I will not go into details but you can check the attached file. I added the states to Annual Daylight Metrics.
annual_daylight.gh (100.6 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you. It works well.

Regards,
Fazel

2 Likes

Hi @mikkel,
I attempted several times to simulate an electrochromic with four states using an XML file for daylighting and energy performance. However, is it possible to control the dynamic change of each state ( EC) based on the prepared schedule?

• I am using Ladybag Honeybee version 1.6, and the annual daylight metrics do not include the state.
  • Is it possible to mix BSDF modifiers with other Radiance modifiers for the same aperture group ?
  • can you please suggest a simple method to control 4 states of electrochromic for radiance simualtion

Hi @Mesloub,

The addition of the states input to the metrics component was only temporary. You have to use the metrics component from the Grasshopper file in my reply above. Even though it says version 1.5 on the component you should be able to use it with 1.6 components. Let me know if that is not the case.

Yes, that should be possible.

Are you able to share the four XML files? Then I can set up an example file.

Hi @mikkel,
Thank you for your reply.
Here you can find the transparent and opaque states of SPD glass; the EC, still under lab testing, will be available soon. For each state, the control strategy for changing between states is through a schudual.

SPD-OFF.xml (35.1 KB)
SPD-ON.xml (35.0 KB)

Can the same process be used in an energy model? In my previous experience, i used energyplus through an energy management system (EMS) to control the two states.

Hi @Mesloub,

I have attached a sample file. To control the states you need to add your own list of zeros (SPD-OFF) and ones (SPD-ON). Please note that the AnnualMetrics component in the file is modified.
annual_daylight.gh (98.6 KB)

Thank you so much for your assistance,
However, I am still trying to figure out, as case four states, what I should modify in this file.
I’ll let you know once I have the data from the lab experimentation.

In the case of the energy model, is it the same process?

my regards

Hello,

I am trying to model roller shades using .xml files exported from LBNL Window. But the export i get is rather odd, ive attached the same.

Im not sure if this is due to the BSDF Modifier being wrongly incorporated or if the LBNL window .xml file is incorrect. Ive also attached my GH definition below.

Test6.gh (108.5 KB)

Hi @mikkel,
I am facing a similar issue such as the one in this thread but with the annual glare simulation. Is there any way to add dynamic roller shades in the definition?
I can’t find the states input in the annual glare post-processing:

Thanks

Hi @Julioamodia89,

The recipe do not support Aperture Groups, and for that reason there is no dyn_sch_ on the post-processing component. Aperture Groups are only implemented in the annual-daylight-enhanced recipe.

I understand. Thank you for your reply.

1 Like