Dynamic shading device daylight simulation problems

Hello everyone,

I am trying to run an annual daylight analysis of an office space with 2 south-facing windows with an exterior dynamic shading device component composed of 16 blades. The dynamic part of it consists in the possibility of changing the angle of all the blades between 0 to 20 degrees according to a schedule (both windows will act in the same dynamic way).
As far as I have understood, that means that I have:

• 1 windows group
  • 5 states corresponding to the 5 different angles options (0,5,10,15,20)
    To run the simulation I am using Honeybee+ since from what I have read is the only way to simulate correctly more than two states for a dynamic shading system.

At the moment I am facing a couple of problems with the simulation:

1. Where and how do I feed the schedule with the list of angles to get and visualize the results of the dynamic change? Should I just skip the “HoneybeePlus_dynamic Blinds schedule” component and connect a list of tuples to the blind state input of the “annual daylight metric” component? And if yes, how do I set up this list of tuples to make the component recognize which states to take at each time step?

2. When I connect an occupancy schedule to the “annual daylight metric” component I have the error 1. Solution exception:There is 0 hours available in the schedule. I find it really strange since I have a list of 0 and 1 in the schedule.

3. Is there the possibility of having as one output of the simulation an annual profile to use as a light control profile for an energy simulation?

4. And last, I was currently using the DC grid-based daylight recipe for it, but I think that would be necessary to use the three-phase method (which will mean to create BSDF materials to have the transmission matrix) to have reliable results (at least for the diffuse light fraction point of view), am I right?

Thank you in advance,
Best,

Matteo

Can you share a minimal version of your file?

Hi Devang and thank you,
here’s the file!
dynamic_blinds_office.gh (542.4 KB)

UPDATES:

I moved to the three-step simulation which I read in the report of @sarith to be the right way for dynamic blinds simulations together with the five-phase method. I created the xml files using LBNL WINDOW software and I am at the moment calibrating the materials’ layers to get results comparable with the previous simulations that I did, using the Daylight Coefficient method.

I still facing the problem of not getting any results if I connect an occupancy schedule to the “annual daylight metric” component and I am still wondering if it is possible to get an annual profile from whom to create an artificial light profile to use in an energy simulation which I am running in parallel.

Also, the issue of feeding a schedule with a list of angles fo different hours is still unsolved.

I am particularly interested in understanding more about these amazing tools and the new possibilities brought in by Honeybee+ and I would be extremely glad if someone can help me in clarifying these points!

Thank you again,
Matteo

dynamic_blinds_office_updated.gh (549.8 KB)
xml files.zip (1005.4 KB)

UPDATES:

Regarding this issue, I was using the components from the legacy version to feed in the schedule, the correct one are either the HoneybeePlus_occupancy schedule or the HoneybeePlus_occupancy schedule from week components.

I’ve also realized that the answer for this question can be found un this discussion [Parametric Daylight and Energy Simulation with HB[+]](http://Parametric Daylight and Energy Simulation with HB[+])

Here [Dynamic shading controlled by .csv for daylight simulation, in Honeybee legacy](http://Dynamic shading controlled by .csv for daylight simulation, in Honeybee legacy) there is something on that but is still unclear to me how to proceed; I will open a new topic to see if someone can clarify better this.

I realized that I have rushed to early in asking for questions but I will now remember that most of the time the problems are already solved!

1 Like

Hello matteo
I need your help
I want to simulate a box on a certain period(3 mounth) on Hb+. I used DC Grid-based Daylight Recipe for this.

The analysis type I want is illuminance(unit), but to read the results in the annual metrics; The output is in terms of daylight autonomy. In fact, the output I expect is the average illuminance. But outputs are displayed as a percentage of time.
Can you give me a clear explanation of how I can record the average illuminance ?
thanks in advance

Hi @Aliarch,
since you are doing a period base study (3 months) the usual way of expressing your results is to use annual metrics such as cDA, DA or UDI which give results in % of time. By definition Daylight Authonomy is the percentage of occupancy time hours that a given point in a space is above a specified illumination level (value that you set in the threshold input) so is correct that the result is in percentage of time. If you want specific values in lux from the grid you can use the components in the picture by directly connecting them to the output of the RunRadiance component.
Hope I have clarified your problem,
Matteo

1 Like

Hi Matteo. Thanks for the quick reply
Yes, I was able to calculate the average illuminance for any geometry by using Max value component.
But I did not understand the use of the other three components.
Anyway, thank you very much.

Hi @Aliarch,
as I said previously, is not a good practice to search for illuminance values for a period base study, I suggest you use the annual metrics for that or alternatively you can run a point-in-time analysis for several significant time moments and use them to draw conclusions. What you have now done with the maxValue component is not particularly significant, I suppose that the component is giving you the maximum value registered at each test point during your 3 months run, so by averaging them you are not getting anything usable for any analysis.

Best regards,
Matteo

1 Like

Hi Matteo,

Recently I was also doing the dynamic simulation with known shading schedules but I have some questions regarding the XML file and where to put the annual schedule.

1. I would like to ask how to generate glass with shading in WINDOW 7.7 so I can use it for the simulation, like different window states. For now, I just know after calculating the glass properties WINDOW will automatically generate the XML file but I cannot find the option to add the shading panel.

2. Regarding the shading state, is it necessary to generate the XML for every shading case?

3. Can the annual schedule directly be blind states for the sDA or other annual results readers? And what is the format of the schedule, for example, 1 means the shading is on, and 0 means off.

Sorry for bothering you and thank you very much.

Best regards,

Clarence