Dynamic shading in LBT 1.1

Hello,
Does anybody know how the formula for annual symulations with the dynamic shading (with shading states, sensors etc.) in LBT 1.1 should look like?

I am guessing that you are asking for this capability within a Radiance simulation and not an Energy simulation. If so, we donā€™t have recipes that support dynamic geometry yet but we should have them soon.

Thank you, Chris.
Yes, I need the dynamic shading for the daylight simulations (DA, ASE). Iā€™m glad to know you are going to prepare sample recipes. Where should I look for it - Hydra?

Hi Chris, Iā€™d like to elaborate a little further on this topic. Considering the previous versions Legacy or Plus, HB1.1 is quite an improvement as it removes DAYSIM from the calculation and uses only Radiance. Iā€™m really happy with it and Iā€™ve been using it for the past months now. Thanks devs, this is incredible work.

However there is an issue that I am not able to tackle, which is operable shading. I see you are very hopeful in integrating this soon into the code. I had a look around in the repo and found no evidence or any suggestion that this is being developed. So this leaves me wondering: as the DAYSIM code is gone, is there any other radiance-based tool which can do the job, or the code needs to be written from scratch? If the answer is the latter, this could take a long time, maybe longer than your ā€˜soonā€™?

A small disclaimer just in case: this is by no means or a complaint or a demand, I fully respect the effort the team has put in this and even an answer of ā€œsorry, there will never be shadingā€ is entirely acceptable to me :slight_smile:. I just would like to know whether I should hold to LBT1.1 or move back to HoneybeePlus.

Theyā€™ll implement the multiphase simulations (matrix simulations) as were included in Honeybee[+], although afaik fixed to be able to handle bigger models.

Exciting times

2 Likes