E+ 9.01 and above - WindowProperty:ShadingControl not working

Four words @chris: YOU ARE THE BEST!!
The second issue is the one that i tried to report. Just checked and it is working fine now. I can leave very well with the caveats you mentioned above. For me, and i assume most of other users, there will be no problem now with the IDF editor. Though i expected the number of objects in the IDF will be as the number of zones. I get more but what happened is that the number of controls (and windows) are split into many objects. For instance a zone that has 8 windows get two objects in the idf, one with 6 controls and the other with two, or so.
In any case, for me this works just fine and i want to really thank you!!
-A.

Very happy to hear that this addresses the issue. And that’s very interesting! If you are getting an IDF that never exceeds the IDFEditor limit of 10 fenestration surfaces per shading control, then I guess this is the result of some automated code within OpenStudio SDK since I didn’t put anything like this on the honeybee end. Hopefully this means that all of our code (between EnergyPlus, OpenStudio and Honeybee) is all harmonized on this topic now.

Hi @chris and @AbrahamYezioro,

Thanks for the indepth discussion around this topic! I myself am in the middle of a project where I need to test some internal blinds as a roller blind. I am trying to simply use an ‘always on’ schedule, but I am getting the same error of “‘Window Property:Shading Control’ is not valid”.

I currently have E+ 9.1 and OS 2.7. From what I can gather from the discussion above, am I correct in saying that currently the shading component will not be able to work with OS 2.5 +?

I have taken your latest file Chris and attempted to run it. It is coming up with the same error which makes me think it must be a versions issue. Are there any ways around this other than grabbing an older OS version?

Kindest Regards
Elly

@ElzineBraasch,
This isuue was a tricky one, but is stable now (for me).
My configuration is: OS 2.8, E+9.1 (BTW OS2.7 was reminded in the forum so many times for being a very trouble version …).
First thing i’ll do is update your components from the github and then update your file. I believe this should be enough.
If not, see the discussion on unmethours i mentioned before. I also edited the idd file in the E+ folder, but this was my first approach, which worked for me. Attached here the edited E+.idd: Energy .zip (509.1 KB) , just remember that it is for 9.1.
Hope it helps. You can upload a simplified version of your work for checking.
-A.

As for this point, this is not correct. It will work, but the way E+8.x and 9.x deal with the blinds are different, where E+9 uses a"new" object typw (windowshadingcontrol) that was not implemented in previous versions of the engine.
All in all i don’t think you need to move backwardds to 2.5. I will do move forward to 2.8 (which is what i have, and is working).
-A.

I just wanted to reiterate that @AbrahamYezioro 's suggestion is correct and I also wanted to clarify that both OpenStudio 2.6 and 2.7 have known bugs in the SDK that make certain features incompatible with honeybee-legacy. So your two recommended options now are OpenStudio 2.5 and OpenStudio 2.8. If you don’t have a preference, you might as well use the newer one, as @AbrahamYezioro notes.

Hi @chris and @AbrahamYezioro,

Thanks heaps for your comments! I had initially updated the components (to which I needed to re-locate Mostapha’s latest post about using the update component because the one I had was only removing honeybee and not re-installing the new and the components of the latest you can download date back to dec 2018). This didn’t allow it to work. I then updated from OS 2.7 to OS 2.9 and updated the components in the file.

And now it works! Totally brilliant, thank you again :slight_smile:

Elly