Thornton Tomasetti is seeking an energetic MEP engineer, building scientist or technical architect to work with a team of environmental designers, energy analysts, architects and engineers to provide expertise in energy efficiency and sustainable design. The candidate should be inquisitive, personable, and technically savvy. Professional experience is preferred; however, relevant research/academic experience will be considered.
The TT Sustainability practice is a ~25 person group spread between NYC, San Francisco, Boston, London, and Portland (Maine). Our purpose as a practice is to help design teams, developers, and owners create comfortable, high performance, low energy buildings.
- Collaborate with colleagues to provide innovative sustainability and energy efficiency solutions.
- Set up and run shoebox and full-building simulations to quantify energy consumption, daylight, glare, and peak loads using Ladybug Tools for Grasshopper for a wide variety of project types (residential, lab, healthcare, educational, cultural, office, retail, institutional, etc) in a wide variety of climates.
- Set up and run outdoor thermal comfort simulations.
- Set up and run parametric simulations and visualize them using Design Explorer or similar parallel coordinate interfaces.
- Evaluate impact of energy conservation measures, including envelope performance improvements and HVAC alternatives, on energy usage and comfort.
- Communicate in graphic and written form the inputs, methodology, and key findings and recommendations for each analysis.
- Participate in sustainable design charrettes, workshops, and design competitions with internal and external team members.
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams of design professionals
- Interface with clients and attend meetings
- Title and Salary: commensurate with experience
- Bachelor’s or post-graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering, Building Science, or Architecture with EIT credentials, or a related field.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills to efficiently convey analyses to project stakeholders, including architects and engineers.
- Specialized technical expertise in energy analysis, thermal comfort modeling, passive design and visual comfort (daylighting and glare).
- Demonstrated aptitude in using Ladybug Tools for Grasshopper, including Ladybug, Honeybee, Butterfly and Ironbug.
- Familiarity with Python coding language.
- Familiarity with EnergyPlus /Open studio is a plus
- Experience with developing metrics and running simulations to influence the concept and schematic design phases of design.
- Understanding of passive strategies, including natural ventilation, is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to express complex data sets with simple graphics.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Excel, Adobe InDesign, Rhino, AutoCAD, and Revit.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues and clients.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute numerous project responsibilities simultaneously.
- Some business travel may be required.
Thornton Tomasetti is proud to be an equal employment workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Thornton Tomasetti are considered without regards to age, ancestry, color, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, protected family care or medical leave status, race, religion (including beliefs and practices or the absence thereof), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.