Encoding error when using OpenStudio

@chris we got IT to confirm that Amy’s operating system can support UTF-8 unicode characters, and interestingly it was working for her until last week (around the the OpenStudio changes were made as you discovered). However, the same definitions that don’t work for her, do work for me. FYI we have the same versions of windows installed but slightly different laptop models (Amy has Dell Precision 3561 while I have Dell Precision 5540), and both got LBT1.3 installed using the 1-click installer we purchased.

Should we be looking up her Ruby version, and if so, where would I find that? I’ve tried using the Windows search bar and the “App & features” part in Windows Settings (i.e. where you usually uninstall programs) but can’t find it.

Hi @MaxMarschall ,

You wouldn’t have been affected by the new OpenStudio yet as we haven’t integrated it into Honeybee or the single-click installer. I’ll try to upgrade the version of OpenStudio used by the development version of the plugin later this week. If you want to try to test things out a step ahead of me to see if it solves your issue, you can install the latest version of OpenStudio from their GitHub here:

And just make sure you delete the OpenStudio in:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\ladybug_tools\openstudio

… before you go to install the new one.

I disable this and install OpenStudio 3.3.0, it work fine and no errors with encoding

1 Like

Thanks for testing that @seghier !
Since this seems to work, I’ll place a higher priority on upgrading the LBT Grasshopper plugin to the OpenStudio 3.3 (hopefully before the end of the week).

@MaxMarschall ,
I recommend @amynuccio use the workaround that I mentioned of installing OpenStudio 3.3. It’s possible that you could encounter a few edge-case compatibility issues until I officially upgrade the LBT Grasshopper plugin but at least the simulation should run on Amy’s machine.

2 Likes

I just wanted to note that the development version of the LBT plugin has been official upgraded to OpenStudio 3.3 as noted there. This should address this issue once and for all!

1 Like