Energy simulation error “…it is not possible to calculate the volume from the surrounding surfaces…”

Hey guys, I am new here.
I am working in an energy simulation for a school building. I made several surfaces and created zones from them, but when performing the energy simulation get the following severe errors:

1, 2 & 3. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:
** Severe ** For zone: ZONE_C3 it is not possible to calculate the volume from the surrounding surfaces so either provide the volume value or define all the surfaces to fully enclose the zone.

1. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:
    5.* Severe ** Problem in interior solar distribution calculation (CHKBKS)

I still get some values in the end but how can I fix this. Where or how in Honeybee can I provide the volume value? Can this have something to do with the fact that I have some open breps?
Thanks!
V3_surfacesim.gh (1.2 MB)

Hi,@adiazcer
I can get the geometry in your grasshooper definition. Please upload the rhino file or internalise data to grasshoopoer compotent.

Hi @minggangyin
Thanks for your reply. Yes, you are right. Here is the file with the internalise data.
V4_surfacesim.gh (1.3 MB)

Also the weather files, just in case…
http://climate.onebuilding.org/WMO_Region_4_North_and_Central_America/HND_Honduras/CR_Cortes/HND_CR_La.Lima-Morales.Intl.AP.787080_TMYx.2003-2017.zip

Hi,@adiazcer
The method which you used is surface by surface for energy modeling. It is not a nice workflow.

Because the surface type for energyplus can be easily matched bySolveAdjancy compotent.
And this zone is open brep. You can use Masses2Zones compotent to generate close brep. Then use Addglaz compotent to adding windows to the thermal zone .

All my suggestions are here. Hope it can help you.

Minggang Yin

Hi Minggang,
Thanks for your response! So, instead of using CreateHBSurface, I need to use Zone to Masses and then add the glazing with the Addglaz component to create a better workflow for the energy simulation.
I have some other questions,

1. So, I don’t add the glazing to the facade (surface) it belongs to, but I add it to the whole zone, then?
  2. I should always use the SolveAdjancy component to “unite” all of my zones in the end, right?
    Thanks again,
    Ana

Hi,@adiazcer
Q1: The input for Add glaz compotent can be a surface or whole zone.
Q2: The answer is yes. but not for the end. SolveAdjancy component is used for the end of geometry modeling.

Hi Minggang,
Something like this…

In the case that I want to add different internal loads and schedules to the zones, could I leave the SolveAdjancy component until the end of the geometry modeling?

Hi,@adiazcer
Please refer to Chris Macky’s Full building energy simulation example
http://hydrashare.github.io/hydra/viewer?owner=chriswmackey&fork=hydra_2&id=Full_Building_Energy_Simulation&slide=0&scale=1&offset=0,0

Hi @minggangyin,
Thanks for the example!

Dear @minggangyin

I am not sure what you are saying here is correct, in cases of having different materials for each surface this is the only workflow for detail-based energy modeling… Sometimes you have to build your model surface by surface …

Cheers
Amir

Hi,@AMIRTABADKANI
Thank for you reply.
Yeah. I agreed with you for the special cases as you metioned.

Hi, I’ve applied the above method, but it is still not working, showing the error below.