EnergyPlus error - Non-convex surfaces

Hi all,

I am trying to build a residencial building, but when I ran E+ is given me a message:

1. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:
    ** Severe ** DetermineShadowingCombinations: There are 2 surfaces which are casting surfaces and are non-convex

Could anyone help me to solve that problem? how can I find those surfaces

Any suggestions? The gh file is attached.

Thank you,

Libner

CR02.gh (573.2 KB)

Hello @libner.melo, It appears that you’re missing an avatar! Please set it up in your profile! Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi @libner.melo,

1. All the materials defined by you are not being successfully written to E+. Please correct that
  2. Please see non-convex surface in your model
    CR02.gh (580.1 KB)
  3. You may please also refer this and that

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi Devang,

thanks, thats is super helpful.
But I’m getting a problem on how can I split these non-convex surfaces to run E+ correctly… I’ve been trying so many different things but it didn’t work

I split the surfaces of the zone that was an giviing error. Please find the revised file attached.CR02.gh (589.9 KB)
One another way to avoid such errors is to use Honeybee_Energy Simulation Parameter component and use minimal shadowing[0] or fulllexterior[1] from the solarDistribution input.

1 Like

Is there another way to solve non-convex surface without having to bake and split it on rhino?
I would like to creat my geometris just on grasshopper and during the tests be able to modifie those geometris and at the same time solve non-convex surfaces

As @devang said, set the HB_Energy Simulation Parameter, solarDistribution input to lower resolution.
-A.

In this case and not in general, if you want to fix the geometries inside the grasshopper, you can use split surface (Surface Split)and provide intersection curves.

CR02_omr.gh (598.6 KB)

-Omid

1 Like

Thank you so much! It really helps me a lot :slight_smile: