EnergyPlus errors

Hey all,

I’ve been having issues setting up a Honeybee Energy analysis using both OSM and EP - so I’ve just made a simple box to try and put through and I’m still getting errors I can’t wrap my head around - am I using the wrong versions of EP or OSM perhaps? I don’t know how much simpler a model I could set up, any help would be appreciated. I have tried different EPW files.

The errors for EP are:

Program Version,EnergyPlus, Version 9.6.0-4b123cf80f, YMD=2022.01.03 13:12,
   ** Severe  ** <root>[BuildingSurface:Detailed][Room_27_6f99317d..Face0][sun_exposure] - "WindExposed" - Failed to match against any enum values.
   ** Severe  ** <root>[BuildingSurface:Detailed][Room_27_6f99317d..Face0][vertices][3] - Missing required property 'vertex_z_coordinate'.
   **  Fatal  ** Errors occurred on processing input file. Preceding condition(s) cause termination.
   ...Summary of Errors that led to program termination:
   ..... Reference severe error count=2
   ..... Last severe error=<root>[BuildingSurface:Detailed][Room_27_6f99317d..Face0][vertices][3] - Missing required property 'vertex_z_coordinate'.
   ************* Warning:  Node connection errors not checked - most system input has not been read (see previous warning).
   ************* Fatal error -- final processing.  Program exited before simulations began.  See previous error messages.
   ************* EnergyPlus Warmup Error Summary. During Warmup: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.
   ************* EnergyPlus Sizing Error Summary. During Sizing: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.
   ************* EnergyPlus Terminated--Fatal Error Detected. 0 Warning; 2 Severe Errors; Elapsed Time=00hr 00min  0.08sec

Runtime error (PythonException):    **  Fatal  ** Errors occurred on processing input file. Preceding condition(s) cause termination.

Traceback:
  line 273, in script

The errors of OSM are:

Program Version,EnergyPlus, Version 9.6.0-4b123cf80f, YMD=2022.01.03 13:26,
   ** Severe  ** <root>[ZoneHVAC:IdealLoadsAirSystem][Room_28_dbf08167 Ideal Loads Air System] - Missing required property 'zone_supply_air_node_name'.
   **  Fatal  ** Errors occurred on processing input file. Preceding condition(s) cause termination.
   ...Summary of Errors that led to program termination:
   ..... Reference severe error count=1
   ..... Last severe error=<root>[ZoneHVAC:IdealLoadsAirSystem][Room_28_dbf08167 Ideal Loads Air System] - Missing required property 'zone_supply_air_node_name'.
   ************* Warning:  Node connection errors not checked - most system input has not been read (see previous warning).
   ************* Fatal error -- final processing.  Program exited before simulations began.  See previous error messages.
   ************* EnergyPlus Warmup Error Summary. During Warmup: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.
   ************* EnergyPlus Sizing Error Summary. During Sizing: 0 Warning; 0 Severe Errors.
   ************* EnergyPlus Terminated--Fatal Error Detected. 0 Warning; 1 Severe Errors; Elapsed Time=00hr 00min  0.08sec

Runtime error (PythonException):    **  Fatal  ** Errors occurred on processing input file. Preceding condition(s) cause termination.

Traceback:
  line 246, in script

Can’t upload file, so here is an image:

Thanks in advance,

Sash

I think that’s probably what is wrong about your setup here. The stable release of LBT 1.3 uses EnergyPlus 9.5 and not 9.6. You should always check the compatibility matrix to be sure that you are using a version of the engines that is compatible with your version of Ladybug Tools.

1 Like

You the MVP Chris,

Thanks so much - totally missed this page, do you think you could add what versions of EP they all use as well at some point

Now to catch up on the lost time :rofl:

-Sash

1 Like

I am not against this but the LBT compatibility matrix is already a little crowded and NREL already maintains its own compatibility matrix about the version of EnergyPlus used with each version of OpenStudio.

1 Like

I see, I see,

Yes, that is a fair argument, maybe you could include a link to this compatibility matrix as a note then, because without you saying it here, I’m not sure how I would have found that - (mainly because of my incompetence rather than it’s impossibility, but there might be more incompetent people in the future :grin:)

Thanks again Chris

That’s a great suggestion, @Artstep . I just added a link to the OpenStudio SDK compatibility matrix at the bottom of the Ladybug Tools compatibility matrix:

I’m sure you’re right that this will help a lot of people in the future.

3 Likes

thanks for the awesome information.