EnergyPlus Window Shade Generator distance limit

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to use the EP Window Shades component to generate outdoor fins of 0.30m depth and 1.14m separation between them, but for some reason when I enter a distance bigger than 1m, the component won’t generate the EP objects and the output is only the breps to use with the EP context component. Is 1m the limit for the distance between shades?. Can it be changed?. I´ve been using the context component but I really need the temperature of the fins to be included in the simulations.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Arturo

@LUISARTUROREYESVALEN,

As @chris mentioned earlier about this:
The simple E+ parameterization of the blinds is just not accurate when the shadeDepth, distToGlass, or distBetween is greater than 1 meter. For these cases, you should plug the generated shadeGeometry into a “Honeybee_Context” component in order to factor it into the simulation. As a general rule of thumb, any geometry that is larger than 1 meter should probably be simulated using the “Honeybee_Context” component for now.

see this: Window shade generator (sometimes) won’t output HB object.

1 Like

Thank you very much @OmidmRashidi for the clarification. I was not aware of that limitation. I’ll keep using the Context component then.

Best
Arturo

Thanks for getting this one @OmidmRashidi . For total clarification, this limitation of 1 meter isn’t one that I personally imposed but was rather imposed by the E+ team. If you tried to use the blind object with values greater than 1 meter, E+ will give you an error.

2 Likes

Duly noted. You’ve got to work with what you’ve got. Thanks anyway.

Arturo