ENVI-met problems_EDT reading_utci calculation in grasshopper_

Hi everyone,

I’m having trouble with few issues in ENVI-met.
-How can we read be EDT files in an application in windows (or maybe in grasshopper)?
-Is it possible (in near future at least) to calculate UTCI in grasshopper within BIO-met? Since I pursue an optimization inside grasshopper, it’s not possible for me to do back and forth between BIO-met and grasshopper.
-How would you compare UTCI calculation of Ladybug with BIO-met?
-What does receptor do and according to what we should locate it in the model?

@AntonelloDiNunzio I’m sure you have all the answers but wanted to post here so everyone can benefit :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Hi @ahmetcan007,

EDT is the binary format that envimet uses to store results. They are organized in folders: atmosphere, soil, surface, vegetation, buildings, radiation, solaracces. You can use DF-Legacy to read them on Grasshopper.

It is not possible for now. You should use the UI of BIO-met to set the main parameters to run the calculation. If envimet development team will change something with BIO-met it will be possible to create a better integration with it.
Anyway, you need to run BIO-met just once and at the end of a simulation. It will create new EDT files you can read.
But I need to add new output folders to the reader component of DF-Legacy to read them, like I have done with another project/plugin.

You can create a workflow that:

• calculates the UTCI using Ladybug starting from 4 heatmaps (pot. air temperature, relative humidity, wind speed, mean radiant temperature) you can find in the atmosphere folder. You can optimize the calculation using the dry bulb temperature instead of potentential air temperature, but you should apply a formula that unfortunately I forgot! :sweat_smile:
  • reads directly EDT files of BIO-met (eg. from UTCI folder).
  • uses some native components of GH to calculate the delta.

The receptor is like a microclimatic station that you put in a single pixel in the grid. It collects many different results vertically and follows a timestep that you can set (usually every 30 minutes or 60 minutes). An important rule of thumb about receptors is: avoid to place them near the border where the results are less accurate.

Best,
Antonello

1 Like