Environmental optimization query

Dear Mostapha and all,

I hope you are all safe and sorted during this time.

I would gratefully appreciate it if you can respond to my query. In 2012 a video was posted on Mostapha’s youtube account with the following name “Building geometry optimization test using octopus and ladybug”.

During the video, it wasn’t clear how the solver found the Pareto front for the problem, however, you attached a screenshot for the solutions. I know using Octupos for such optimizations requires a live communication between the variables “Genoms/ design parameters” and the problem objectives “The simulation result”. However, this would consume so much time especially if the objective is energy demand, as it would require the HB EP to run millions of times to find different solutions “of course according to the population and generation sizes”!.

I’ve got two questions:

1. Would you kindly reveal how did you manage to get the Pareto front on the 2D plot?
  2. As long all HB energy simulation components are built on Python scripts, Is there any possible way to implement the “energy model script” for the optimization run without the actual simulation?

I am looking for a gentle generous replay from you.

Regards,

Yahia Kheder

I used Octopus which does generate the plot for you.

I need more clarification on what you mean here by “energy model script” and “without the actual simulation”. Are you talking about some simplified heat transfer calculation instead of whole building energy model? If that is the case the answer is no. We do not have a simplified model for energy simulation at this point.