Environmental optimizations for skyscrapers

Hello guys,
part of my graduation project is about designing a skyscraper in a hot-humid environment and I want to discover the possibilities of natural ventilation and optimizing the geometry and subtractions based on it. so is it possible through grasshopper plugins like Ladybug, Honeybee and Octopus? and where to start learning from? and also is it possible to be learnt in few months or it is way more complicated than I think it is?

Hi @Tam,

Welcome to the forum! When you download Ladybug tool 1.5 it comes with a folder called samples. Here you can find examples of the workflows from Ladybug, Honeybee and Dragonfly. In your case I would have a first look at the dragonfly examples. For batch simulations mostly Colibri from TT toolbox is used.

1 Like

This looks so helpful, Thank you so much!

Hi,

You need to define your objectives and variables for the study. Octopus can be used for multi-objective optimization studies where you have more than one objective or variable. If you have a single objective and a variable, then you may prefer Galapagos. There are also other optimization tools on GH, such as Wallacei. In each case, you must use both the Ladybug tools (in your case, Honeybee would be beneficial, it’s already installed within Ladybug) + an optimization algorithm tool.

When you install a tool from food4rhino, there are some sample files to understand the logic of the tools. You may try to analyze them and watch some tutorials online.

Feel free to contact me,
Best,
Aybüke

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply, very useful!
I have been trying to find some tutorials or courses that would help me learning Wallacei or Octopus or any other multi-objective optimization, could you please suggest me any?

Hi again Erik!
I watched this workshop, but it seemed a little too complex for me. Could you kindly recommend one that is simpler?

Hi @Tam,

On food4rhino you can download samples in which the principles of a colibri batch simulation are explained.

oh okayy, Thank you so much!

Hi,

Octopus is actually a very simple plug-in. You just need to plug the variables and objectives in. There are obviously some important points to do that. I remember that I watched some videos on YouTube regarding the use of it.
Octopus English tutorial - YouTube This video explains the use and logic of Octopus in a very straightforward manner. Maybe you would prefer to watch it.

Best,
Aybüke

1 Like

Thank youu so much!!