Error in PMV Comfort Map

Hello everyone,
I am asking for your help in understanding the error that the PMV Comfort Map component generates for me:

Runtime error (PythonException): Recipe was not executed with the following summary:

Scheduled 35 tasks of which:

• 14 successfully executed:
    • 1 CopyResultInfo(…)
    • 1 CreateDirectSky(…)
    • 1 CreateModelOccSchemi(…)
    • 1 CreateModelTransSchedules(…)
    • 1 CreateResultsInfo(…)
  • 1 Failed:
    • 1 SetModifiersFromConstructions(…)
  • 20 remained outstanding, among them:
    • 20 had failed dependencies:
      • 1 CopyGridInfo(…)
      • 1 CopyRedistInfo(…)
      • 1 CreateDynamicOctrees(…)
      • 1 CreateOctree(…)
      • 1 CreateOctreeWithSuns(…)

This progress seems :frowning: because there were failed tasks

Use the report_out attribute of the recipe settings to see a complete report.

Traceback:
line 191, in script

I will leave you the image:

The .idf file was simulated with idf editor and runs smoothly with 0 warning and 0 sever error.

I use Rhino on Mac, can this be the problem?

Thank you, I hope for your help.
Massimiliano

Hi,
I upgraded to version 1.6, but the Comfort map doesn’t work with the same error:

Runtime error (PythonException): The recipe failed to run with the following summary:

Scheduled 35 tasks of which:

• 14 ran successfully:
    • 1 CopyResultInfo(…)
    • 1 CreateDirectSky(…)
    • 1 CreateModelOccSchedules(…)
    • 1 CreateModelTransSchedules(…)
    • 1 CreateResultInfo(…)
  • 1 failed:
    • 1 SetModifiersFromConstructions(…)
  • 20 were left pending, among these:
    • 20 had failed dependencies:
      • 1 CopyGridInfo(…)
      • 1 CopyRedistInfo(…)
      • 1 CreateDynamicOctrees(…)
      • 1 CreateOctree(…)
      • 1 CreateOctreeWithSuns(…)

This progress looks :frowning: because there were failed tasks

Use the report_out attribute of recipe settings to see a full report.

Traceback:
line 209, in script

Can you help me?
Thx
Massimiliano

Is that Honeybee Model that is loaded from the gbXML file valid according to the HB Validate Model component?

If not, then fix your Model.

If so, you can upload the report.txt from the recipe or the gbXML file and we can look deeper into the exact failure.

Thank you very much @chris ,
I tried but couldn’t find much information, I’ll leave you the screenshot:

I can’t find the report.txt file, where can I find it? In the folder where I saved the .gh file and where the .idf file is located that I load I only have the recipe.py file.
Thanks!
Massimiliano

Good to know that the model is valid. This may be a bug, then.

I meant to say the log file instead of “report.txt”. You can find the log file in:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\simulation\{MODEL_NAME]\pmv_comfort_map\__logs__\logs.log

I am not entirely sure what your model name is but you can see if if you connect it up to a panel.

Thank you @chris ,
found it, I am attaching it:

logs.log (100.6 KB)

Massimiliano

Thanks, @MassimilianoBusnelli .

I can see the real error in the log file is the following:

Input number red transmissivity must be between 0 and 1. Got 1.086083900734386

I am guessing that this is happening because your gbXML file contains a window material with a transmittance that isn’t realistic for glass (any transmittance higher than 92% is practically impossible for glass and, at that point, it has to be some other material with a different refractive index than float glass). A glass transmittance greater than 92% would correspond to a transmissivity greater than 1, which is what honeybee-radiance is complaining about there. But, long story short, you could probably fix this by adjusting the glass constructions in your gbXML file.

Alternatively, if you are willing to share the gbXML so that I can recreate the issue on my end, I can add something into Ladybug Tools that sets the glass transmittance to 1 whenever the construction that it originates from is greater than 1. This should stop this error from popping up in other cases.

Thank you very much @chris,
the glass is entered as BSDF, calculated with LBNL Window, I will leave you the datasheets here.

I think it only takes the wrong values as much as it is at high incidence angles.
I can turn the .idf file over to you privately.
Thanks again for your support!
Massimiliano

UPDATE: Sorry @chris , I got confused, for the comfort map test I used simplegalzing and put 0.999 to the inner dummy glass! And now it works!
If it is of interest I had simplified the model, removing the construction with the bsdf and converting the schedule:compact and schedule:constant to day/month/year split schedules because the HB Load gbXML IDF component did not read the .idf file

I also noticed that importing the .idf file does not import the hvac system. In this case the ideal loads… with the result that it does not calculate the temperature/humidity of the zone, but does a kind of free-running without the system. In fact, I looked in the simulation folder and the in.idf file it creates is different from the one I have it import…
The PMV though should be with plant available, right?
Thanks again, sorry for the trouble, just trying to get a better understanding of the components and conditions of use…

Hey @MassimilianoBusnelli ,

You should check all of the properties that have made it to your imported Honeybee Model from IDF. The HB Visualize tab has plenty of components to help you here. The vast majority of properties cannot be imported form IDF since they’re in such a messy format there. You can see a table that describes what is importable from different file formats here:

If you want to modify the IDF language that’s used in the comfort map simulation, you are best off plugging your original honeybee model into the comfort map recipe and using add_str_ to customize the IDF.

FYI, I added a check to get around 0.99 solar heat gain coefficients as part of this commit:

1 Like

hi @chris ,
I read the table comparing the different formats.
I got an idea, please tell me if it is feasible.
Since the .idf format is class-structured text, couldn’t you “create” (obviously I don’t know how to do it, but you do) a component that separates into two outputs: one for the useful classes to be placed in “model” for later processing and the other instead all the rest of the text to be placed in add_str_
In the PMV Comfort map component run directly with EnergyPlus engine (kind of like the re-run .idf component)
In this way it would be possible to calculate the PMV Comfort Map (and more) using an .idf file already created with the HVAC system maybe more structured than in the classic template… what do you think?

I wish it were that simple but a solution like that would only work for very simple IDFs and the vast majority of IDFs could not be parsed that way because different objects within the IDF reference one another so that they can’t be clearly separated into “Honeybee translate-able stuff” and “additional stuff”.

Where did your IDF come from? If it was created with Ladybug Tools, there are probably better ways that you can simulate a PMV comfort map with it.

Thank you @Chris, I have tried.
I use IDF Editor directly, sometimes I write and copy/paste from .txt templates I created. I use LBT a lot for post-processing.