Excessive Sunlight Hours Result

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to conduct a sunlight hours analysis study on a slab surface. While executing the study on the 21st of June and 21st of December for 10 hours from 8 am until 18 pm, the sunlight result is realistic (I believe) between 8 to 10 hours at maximum.

However, while conducting the study on the 21st from January to December at the same hours period, the sunlight component is generating an excessive amount of sun hours 3200!! even though the highest amount number of hours should not exceed 10hours*12days=120 hours.
I tried to change the EPW link path or minimizing the period for 6 months or so, but again it is giving the same problem.

Any idea on how to solve this problem or what might be causing it?

Thank you very much in advance.

January-December

June

December

Sunlight-Hours-Analysis.3dm (1.5 MB)
Sunlight-Hours-Analysis.gh (427.8 KB)

Didn’t check your files but noticed from the image that you set a timestep of 4. Meaning, you are checking every 15 minutes and not every hour.
Check also the number of vectors you get from the sunpath component.

-A.

Abraham,
Thank you very much for the quick answer. I wanted to use a time step of 4 to get a smoother and more accurate result.
I checked the sun vectors output, somehow the analysis period is calculating for all days even though it has been set for one day, the 21st.
I tried to create an individual series for the month-day-hour input for the sun path component, and it worked correctly.
Do you have any idea why the Ladybug Analysis Period is giving a wrong time period?
Thanks.

You are getting what you requested: 1,21,8 until 12,21,18. You are asking from the 21th january to 21 December ALL days and hours in between. Is not taking just the 21th for each month. The best way to do it is with the series as you tried in the top alternative.
-A.

1 Like

Hallo Mohamad, I only see the last screen.
In the first case you analyze only 1 day for each month, in the second case you analyze a entire year from 8 to 18.

1 Like

@LaFleur @AbrahamYezioro
I got it clearly now, so it is working as a range not as analyzing 1 day per defined period time.
Many thanks for the clear responses!
I’m really thankful for your help.