Getting Ready for Rhino V8

Hi @alcy6600ff ,

The latest development version of the LBT Plugin that you can get with the LB Versioner works in Rhino 8 but the LBT 1.7 stable release does not work in Rhino 8. I’ll push a new installer to Food4Rhino in the next week or so that is fully compatible with Rhino 8.

Butterfly was last released in 2019 and has not been maintained since then. As you see on Food4Rhino, it was only ever tested in Rhino 5 and 6. Granted, I think you can likely get Butterfly to work in Rhino 8 if you copy this folder:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\scripts\butterfly

To this location:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\8.0\scripts

But, again, Butterfly has not been maintained since 2019 or tested in Rhino 8. So proceed with caution.

And, thank you, @tay.0, for helping here. You should definitely answer his question, @alcy6600ff , if you want to get LBT working in Rhino 8.

1 Like

Hi @chris

Sorry to bring this up. But I couldn’t figure out how to succesfully installing Ladybug Tools on Rhino 8?

I also checked this post below:

But wasn’t sure if there is a solution yet.

I tried with the Ladybug Tools 1.7.0 on food4rhino, still facing the Fatal Python error: init_fs_encoding issue. So I have no access to the versioner inside grasshopper. Because there is no ladybug tools existing inside grasshopper toolbar.

@Koziu233 did you delete the rhino python 3.9 folder?

@tay.0 No, I need it for my other plug-ins, sorry. I was looking for a way so Ladybug Tools and python 3.9 can exist the same time. Or do you mean remove it temporarily and paste it back afther installing ladybug tools?

@tay.0 Oh, sorry. Seems I was being stupid. Deleting python 3.9 and copy it back after installation seems causing no damage at all. Thanks!

1 Like

No worries @Koziu233 ! you can delete the python3.9 anytime! to get the folder back run scripteditor in Rhino and it will automatically download the 3.9 assemblies for you, so nothing is dangerous with it.

1 Like

Hi Chris,

I tried out an alternative program for today’s presentation alongside some rough diagrams, but I’ll check in regarding the components tonight.

Considering that Butterfly isn’t updated and Windows updates can and will break it, is there an alternative found in the current Ladybug package? Sorry, came back to Rhino only recently after 2 years in a company that didn’t use it, rather rusty on these stuff.

Perfect solution. Could you add it in the installation instructions on github?

I’m having the same problem and really want to switch to Rhino8, but before I delete the rhpython39 folder I just want to make sure that everything will continue working in Rhino7… Can I delete it and still use the recipe in RH/?

thanks

@anders
Yes, it is safe to delete, since Rhino 7 doesn’t use 3.9 and this is new to V8.

I might be doing something wrong, but I delete the pyton39 folder and restart rhino, but the instant I open grasshopper it comes back…I don’t get a chance to install 1.7 first and I still get the same error after running the 1.7.16 installer…what can I be doing wrong?

thanks

Are you sure that LBT is able to find Openstudio and radiance folder? As I was able to install that but radiance folder and Openstudio folder its not able to load it (though I have that installed and working well with Rhino 7)

did you run script editor by any chance? I think there is a plugin that is causing this issue for you

I refer to the Compatibility matrix so I have the compatible version 3.6.1 for OSM and 4.1 for Radiance.

Yes I have the same versions too, but dont know why its not able to locate it

did you have them installed in their default location? C:\ Drive? or another one? can you share the error you are getting with it?

I don’t think so, the only thing I can think of is that VisualArq starts as I open rhino

I just tried running the Pollination installer in Rh8 and everything is red now…so that didn’t work either… :wink:

Any suggestions?

thanks
anders

Please disable VisualArq for now to make sure it is not triggering a python script.

Please Delete the folder :
%HomePath%.rhinocode\py39-rh8

The Pollination installer has the older version that uses python 3.10 which has conflicts with that folder.

I’m still waiting for you to tell me the error, you can read it by clicking on the Red Balloon on the top right corner of the GH component.

Sorry about not sending the error, it is the same error about path to logs.log

I have been fumbling around trying to fix it…for some strange reason it worked the first time after installation, but then fails at next boot…even if I delete the py39-rh8 folder before starting
error