Harmful radiation calculation

Hello,

1. In the example file “radiation_benefit_on_sunpath”, LB SkyDome uses the “LB Benefit Sky Matrix” as its numerical source. My goal is to design a sunshade or louver to find the sun vectors that will cause overheating. I would like to ask what kind of thermal comfort index is the “harmful” in the LB Benefit Sky Matrix? Can I change it to other thermal comfort indices and input it into LB SkyDome, such as UTCI Comfort or ET? Which index is the best?
  2. Can LB Sky Mask be converted to LB SunPath? I hope that the Sun_pts that can be shaded by overhang and fin can be selected and displayed.

Thank you.

radiation_benefit_on_sunpath_Alex.gh (114.8 KB)

Hi @Alex_Huang ,

I think you might misunderstand what the LB Benefit Sky Matrix component is calculating. It does not use a thermal comfort model and it is not really intended to inform comfort analyses. Rather, it is primarily used for understanding the impact that solar energy (in kWh/m2) will have on the heating and cooling loads of a Building (in kWh). And it just decides whether solar energy is helpful or harmful using the relationship of the outdoor air temperature to a building balance temperature.

So it sounds like you don’t want to use the LB Sky Dome or the LB Benefit Sky Matrix for your type of study if you’re primarily interested in the impact on thermal comfort.

A better visualization for your case would probably use just the LB Sunpath and you could connect your UTCI data there to the data_ input of the sunpath to get a visualization of sun positions colored with UTCI (or whatever other thermal comfort metric you want to use).