HB 1.6.0 Residential Annual loads significantly higher than expected

Dear LBT developers,
I am conducting research on EUI and how it can influence our strategies in the early stages of the design process. Recently, I tested the shoe box for different typologies, and to my surprise, a residential typology consumed more energy than a hospital or office typology. Given that I was testing the same form, location, and construction type… a residential typology should consume less energy than the others. I am unsure what I am missing, and I hope to get some insights and advice from this forum.

shoe_box_annual_loads test.gh (195.1 KB)

As you can see in your load balance, the Midrise Apartment template has a relatively high infiltration rate per exterior area, which is common for residential construction where there’s no mechanical ventilation requirement and infiltration provides all fresh air. So that’s why your residential heating is so high.

I don’t know in which case you would find a single-room midrise apartment or hospital like in your Grasshopper definition, which has way more exterior surface area to volume than any real building would have. If you change most of those surfaces to adiabatic so that the shoe box represents a part of a larger building, you get something closer to what you expect:

shoe_box_annual_loads test_CWM.gh (184.9 KB)

Many thanks for your answer.