HB adaptive confort map issue calculation at night

Hello everyone, I need help. I’m conducting an analysis of adaptive thermal comfort with Honeybee Energy. Upon reviewing the results, everything seems to be fine. However, when I try to obtain data on the indoor temperatures of the rooms at night during the coldest month in the analyzed location, I get extremely high temperatures that simply don’t make sense. The location is Querétaro, Mexico, where the coldest month is January, with a minimum temperature of 6°C. In the script, when I input the early morning of a day in this month, it gives me temperatures of 24°C. I have tried this on different models with different complexities and various locations, and I keep getting similar nonsensical results. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong to obtain these data. The temperatures I get during the day make sense, so I don’t think there’s a major issue there. I hope you can assist me. I have attached screenshots of the results and the script. Thank you very much

Hey @gerofooo, as I mentioned in private message - judging by your screenshot you need to adjust the inputs of you AnalysisPeriod to filter for the period you’re interested in (ie including an end month, day, hour). If the start and end are the same then you’ll get the result for a single hour.

Thank you for your comment, Charly. I’ve already tried doing what you suggested, and the result is very similar. Do you think there could be something else affecting the analysis? I also downloaded the EPW file from much colder places in the United States just to see if I would get a significant difference, but it still gives me results with very high temperatures.

It looks like you might be modelling those a HB Rooms, if so have you made any changes to the program type? Or constructions? Default program type will be for an office and will have heating and cooling applied. If you want a free running zone I’d recommend setting it as a plenum

Exactly as you mentioned, Charlie, I was modeling them as rooms, and by default, it was giving me a small office program. As you suggested, I converted the room to a plenum, but when I perform the analysis, it still gives me quite high temperatures. I have the time period part defined as well.

That potentially looks quite reasonable - with a reasonable amount of insulation, in an area highly exposed to solar radiation, temperatures could get pretty high during the day due to solar gain and only slowly lose heat at night.

If I was you I would ignore the adaptive map side of things for now and focus on getting your energy model correct, ie correct internal gains, infiltration, window openings if you want them. Then once you have a robust model of your building use the adaptive comfort to understand the comfort conditions of your space

1 Like

Thank you very much for your comments. I will follow the recommendations. Best regards!

1 Like