HB Annual loads only support rooms input rather than model

1. Solution exception:Expected Room. Got <class ‘honeybee.model.Model’>.

is there a particular need to facilitate model rather than rooms input into annual loads component?
In the context above there is no shades, aps doors etc assigned to the model; there is the shades_ input in the annual loads component as well as you can assign shades at the room level instead of the model level.

1 Like

No, but Model to OSM requires Model input, and this component, rooms. Just a little bit weird and wonder why there they use different input, nothing more. :smiley:

1 Like

If I am not mistaken; I believe that room level input on the annual / peak loads components is to enable easier ‘chunk-by-chunk’ addressing of the thermal zones that comprise the overall model while in the process of tuning the overall singular model.
But I could be wrong!
best
-trevor

1 Like

In my case, this component was calculating individual rooms’ energy loads. For example, if this is something like a test box, then this component is pretty much proper. To calculate the whole building’s loads, you may try “Honeybee Model to OSM” component.

1 Like

@TrevorFedyna @aybuketaser Thank you for your patient answers!

1 Like

I realize that it feels a little odd but there were a couple of reasons why I implemented it this way:

1. There are a few capabilities (eg. The Airflow Network) that aren’t supported in the direct-to-IDF methods used under the hood by the Annual Loads component. These features are only assign-able at the model level and so having the Annual Loads component only accept Rooms conveniently prevents this type of invalid input.
  2. The legacy plugins for energy simulation had been organized with a “rooms” and “shades” input instead of a “model” input so I figured there’s a precedent for a component being formatted like this.

I am not totally wedded to this format, though. I’m happy to enable the _rooms input to accept a model if people don’t want to go through the extra step of deconstructing a model into Rooms and Shades.

2 Likes