HB Color Face Attributes heavy processing


After updating LBT to 1.6.x I find the component HB Color Face Attributes is causing quite heavy lagging in my grasshopper preview. It’s manageable on my desktop, but impossible to maneuver in perspective on my laptop. So far, my solution has been to only enable the component, when I have found the correct view using Visualize Wireframe.
On a side note, my preview seems to be triangular mesh-like surfaces, which I don’t think it has been earlier.

My colleagues don’t have the same issue with the same script, but as mentioned earlier, I have the issue on both my laptop and desktop. The latest tested version is 1.6.2.

Below is an example of the previewed geometry. The issue still occurs with simpler geometry.

Any suggestions? I can provide files if needed.

Best regards,

Hi @ChrsitianDegn ,

This is to be expected when you plug a detailed Rhino Mesh like that into the HB Shade component because that component currently translates each Rhino Mesh face to a separate planar Shade object. The Radiance simulation of this case will still work relatively well but we recognize that it’s not the most efficient way to deal with these types of “raw mesh” geometries that haven’t undergone any of the cleanup that typically accompanies the Honeybee Room-based workflows. It’s for this reason that we have a plan to implement a new ShadeMesh object in the honeybee-schema, which retains the native mesh specification, will be translated directly to Radiance meshes, and will preview in the Rhino scene as a single mesh so that the preview is not as slow. You can see the issue open for it here:

… and you can probably expect it to be implemented within the next couple of months. That will go a long way toward optimizing things for this type of workflow.

FYI, you should not have this issue when working from simpler planar Breps or if you structure your model with Honeybee Rooms. I don’t know what you mean by “the issue still occurs with simpler geometry” but I imagine that you’re not working with the cleanest and simplest representation of geometry that we’ve currently optimized the plugin for.


Hi @chris

Thank you for looking into this. I use a workflow with Rhino.Inside.Revit to translate Revit geometry to Rhino geometry. I have used the same workflow earlier with LBT 1.3.0 without any issues. It could be the translation of geometry from Rhino.Inside.Revit that has changed and is causing this issue.

I will test some different workflows to optimize the experience. Nonetheless, the planned new ShadeMesh sounds amazing and will definitely help!

Again, thanks a lot!

Best regards,

You’re very welcome, @ChrsitianDegn . I’ll try to remember to post back here once the ShadeMeshes are implemented.

FYI, I’d also recommend the Pollination Revit Plugin if you have not tried it already. That’s definitely going to be the best way to get a room-based Honeybee model from a Revit Model. Then, you can bring the exported HBJSON into Grasshopper and work with it normally.