HB Direct sun hours showing only 0/1

Hi
I’m trying to calculate direct solar hours inside a house with different shading options but the honeybee direct solar hours shows 0 or 1. However, it shows the windows correctly. What is not working/ is incorrect?
Direct solar hours.gh (189.0 KB)

Series of 0/1 values is the intended outcome of this recipe. For every timestep, each sensor point is either “hit” by a sun beam (value=1) or it is not hit (value=0). This is explained in the “results” output of the component. You can then post-process the results and find the total number of hours that each point receives, for a desired time period.

Thank you for your response @IasonBournas, I used spatial heatmap component to visualise, but cannot find the components (other than in legacy which won’t match) for post processing the results to find number of hours. I can only visualise them now.

You would need to sum up all “1” values for each point to find the total hours for each point. You can get 0/1 values for each point, for each timestep, if you connect the “results” output to a component called “LB Deconstruct Matrix”. Using grasshopper’s “Mass Addition” can add up all “1” values for each point.

1 Like

Hi @IasonBournas ,
I tend not to agree with your diagnostic. The SunHours component gives you the total number of hours each grid point receives.
In this instance i entered the GH file but unfortunately the geometry is not internalized, but i noticed that the number of sun vectors is large (~2.5K), which makes me wonder about the purpose of the analysis.

-A.

It seems to work now. The purpose is to study direct solar hours with the changing shades in the floor plate. May I ask is large number of solar vectors is a bad sign/ incorrect?
*with internalised geometry Direct solar hours.gh (131.5 KB)

I stand corrected, sorry for this @Anyone, thanks for correcting this @AbrahamYezioro

1 Like

When you ask for one hour only is becouse you want to know what happens at the specific hour. When you ask for, say, 5 hours, you probably want to know the solar range, i.e. what areas of the geometry are more/less shaded. Usually you do that for a critical day (winter or summer).
When you ask for a large number of hours i can’t see the question you are asking. What will be your conclusion from the results.
That’s why i wonder. Is not about right or wrong. Technically it is possible … but for what purpose.
-A.

Thanks, that explains a lot. It seems redundant as I need only one value for an hour (as you mentioned).
I didn’t consciously increase them in any way but would like to know where it can be changed/ specified?

At the sunpath component you input your HOY. Then you can connect the desired hour(s).
You probably want to check the colibri plugin from TT Toolbox to automate the process.
-A.

1 Like

Hi again,
Thanks for the input.
Is there a way to find out a schedule for operating shades/ blinds to prevent glare?
I developed the same script further but cannot identify hours to create a schedule.
Direct solar hours and blinds closed.gh (170.2 KB)

I would check the imageless glare analysis.
-A.