HB-Radiance Write and run radiance cases

hi @chris

Please forgive me if I’m knocking on the door a bit early…it’s more out of excitement than impatience :slight_smile:

In future developments of HB Radiance, is there a plan to integrate the writing of cases prior to running the cases (same as for HB+)? I’m asking this with in mind to execute manually multiple cases at the same time and dispatch my computer power.

Best,
Olivier

@OlivierDambron ,

We are in the process of refactoring the HB-Radiance recipes at the moment but, once we are done, you will be able to write your Models to a HBJSON (or possibly a Honeybee-Radiance Folder) and you’ll be able to plug those files/folders into the recipe components (instead of just plugging in the Honeybee Python object). This way, you can write out all of your models to files/folders first and then execute them each separately.

… or you’ll be able to upload those Model JSONs to our Pollination cloud service once we start selling subscriptions in another few months. We’ve been doing some initial tests with up to ~100 CPUs and we’ve been able to get some simulations to run in roughly 1/10th the speed of our most powerful desktops. So I believe the excitement is merited.

1 Like

Hi @OlivierDambron, you might find this short tutorial interesting:

1 Like

Hello @mostapha

Sounds really great! very eager to integrate this in some custom components.

I’ve read and read again the tutorial, and the console tells me it can’t find the recipes.

Am I missing something regarding Paths or admin rights?

Best,
Olivier

Ahh for some reason honeybee-radiance-recipe isn’t recognized although I installed it.

For the command line you should try honeybee-recipe not honeybee-radiance-recipe.

can you confirm that there is a daylight_factor.py file inside the daylight_factor folder where the package is installed?

OK for honeybee-recipe. I can now see it is installed.
The problem of not finding the recipes still occurs with the following command (same for annual):
“honeybee-recipe run ‘daylight-factor’ --inputs ./inputs.json --name ‘df’ --workers 16”

Yes there is a daylight_factor.py in the package installation folder.

Thank you! Can you add this line to line 69 and try it again? Let’s see if the path is correct.

assert False, recipe_path

Thanks for your answers @Mostapha , Here is what I get.

I see! The quotes are the issue. I was testing it on powershell and linux not CMD on Windows. I belive either of these options should work. If the first one works on Windows then we can just use that everywhere.

honeybee-recipe run daylight-factor --inputs ./inputs.json --name df --workers 16

or

honeybee-recipe run "daylight-factor" --inputs ./inputs.json --name "df" --workers 16

@mostapha Hurray No quotes works on Windows 10 command prompt, both for df + annual. It’s wonderful, so smooth! thank you !

I will further modify the annual daylight recipe locally to be able to run he annual irradiance one :).

2 Likes