HBSurface and empty tree branches

Hi @chris,

I am running into a problem with the HBsurface node. When I attach a tree which starts with some empty branches I get the following error.

When I prune the same tree and attach it to te HBsurface node, the error is gone.

When I now reattach the unpruned tree to the HBsurface node the error does not come up again. Problem solved you could say. But everytime I reopen the file the problem reappears. This is quite disturbing.

When the tree starts with a populated branch there is no problem.
Is there a way to fix this problem? I would like to keep the tree structure intact.

@Erikbeeren ,

I have to admit that I don’t really know what’s going on, though it seems particularly hard to debug given some less-than-perfect design decisions that we made back when we first set up legacy Honeybee. Maybe @mostapha has a better idea.

I’ll at least try to see if I can find a workaround for this case and know that you will not face anything like this in the new Honeybee that is soon to be released.

Hi @Chris,
I will make a workaround for the problem.

@Erikbeeren ,

Here’s a workaround for you with a small custom Python component that will put back any data tree structure after the creatHBSrfs component:

WeirdDataTreeBug.gh (468.2 KB)

I know it’s less than ideal and what you found here is definitely a bug. But it’s just that trying to fix it within the Honeybee_Honeybee component has such a high risk of breaking things given how messy the code is there and given our complete lack of unit tests for Honeybee Legacy.

So that custom Python component is the best I can offer now and we’ll just have to wait a little longer for the new Ladybug Tools[+] that has a solution done “the right way.”

1 Like

@Chris
Thank you very much!