Help! Ladybug Hourly Radiation Values for Specific Day/Month

Hello everyone,

I’m currently doing a solar radiation analysis for a canopy for a train station. The canopy will be filled with PV panels. I want to measure the solar radiation per hour for different angles during one winter and one summer day in order to see the peaks and low points.This will help me to optimize the angles throughout the shape in order to have a flat electricity production throughout the day/seasons.

I run the analysis using Ladybug and but I did not manage to break down the hourly information for a specific day and month with this method. I would deeply appreciate any of your suggestions!

I am new to the community so I am not allowed to attach files yet. But I made a screenshot of the coding I did in case you want to take a closer look. I posted this also on the Mcneel Forum asking for help, where I uploaded also the Rhino and Grasshopper files - https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/help-ladybug-hourly-radiation-analysis-for-different-pv-surface-angles-wrong-values/72611?u=cristina.marginean07

I deeply appreciate any suggestions you can give me. I tried several methods but with no success.

Thank you in advance.

Can you send a link to the file to any of the cloud servers? Will be easy to debug.
-A.

Are you a member of the McNeel Forum as well? I asked for help also there and I uploaded all the files - https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/help-ladybug-hourly-radiation-analysis-for-different-pv-surface-angles-wrong-values/72611?u=cristina.marginean07

Otherwise I can send you a link to the files. Thank you.

I see now the links there.
I’ll try to check the files later on.
-A.

Thank you! I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Before i do that … can you confirm the rhino file is in mm and the length of the geometry is about 400 mm?
Also the grid size is 1, like 1 mm?

The better is to upload a simple file with just the necessary information to see the problem.

Also, what is the Remap.ghuser file for?
-A.

Yes, everything is in [mm] right now. But it should be 400 [m] though, I did not notice that, thank you! I used the Remap.ghuser tool together with the sinus Graphmapper to define the curvatures of the canopy.

I uploaded the files again with the units in [m] and I deleted everything that is unnecessary from the grasshopper file - https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/help-ladybug-hourly-radiation-analysis-for-different-pv-surface-angles-wrong-values/72611/2?u=cristina.marginean07

This is what you want?

This is giving you the amount of radiation [kWh/m2] for the period you choose. In this case, in your file, you defined some hours for one day.
If you want to select a different period from the analysis the process will be a bit different, so let me/us know.
-A.

Not really, I wanted to get the radiation values for all the daylight hours individually. Otherwise I would have to having to run the analysis for each hour separately. I don`t know if there is a way to receive all this information at once. Thank you anyways!

See attached.
I believe this is what you are asking for (Hour by hour). See blue group at the right.

-A.

08102018_Daily Radiation Analysis_2_AY.gh (165.1 KB)

Yes, but I can only run the analysis for one specific hour. If I want to know all 7 radiation values for each hour between 9:00-16:00, I would have to run the analysis 7 times for each hour separately. I thought it would be possible to get all these 7 values in a panel at once.

(I answered at the mcneel forum. Sorry for that):
I suggest you to try this (i don’t have the time to check it):
At the selectSkyMtx (the first one) give a list of HOYs or an analysisPeriod for the whole year (for instance).
In this way you’ll get the sky matrix for each of the hours (this is the output of the component).
In the second selectSkyMtx you can give a HOY or a list of HOYs to get the results at the same time (grafting them). See image below.

-A.

Now with a file. The HOYs i suggested above is not working, so i checked the whole year in the first SkyMtx. For the second i provided the whole list of hours. Then i can get all the results at once.
-A.
08102018_Daily Radiation Analysis_2_AY.gh (174.5 KB)

Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was trying to achieve. You helped me a lot with this. Thank you!