Honeybee_find_nonconvex

Yep… you have no idea how happy I am to move off that stuck point in the development of this solution. There are so many other parts to this I want to dig in to and that issue was stopping me.

I see that even though I have downloaded newer user blocks I see that the ones that I had already placed into a grasshopper document do not automatically change to the new version. Without having to remove and re-wire each user block, is there a way to convert old blocks to the new blocks?

Ken

Very happy to hear you can move forward with your work! I know the feeling. Thanks for sharing.

To update the components in your file, you should use Ladybug_Update File component. It can be found in 0 | Ladybug tab. It will update the components that it can. The components that it can’t update will be marked red. You’ll need to replace them manually please.

Devang,

Thanks, the Ladybug component did the trick.

I am still working on my crazy building model and am getting it to give me Eplus calcs but it gives one error that I dont know how to correct. How do I manually provide the volume?

Attached is the Grasshopper file with the building that is giving me the error about calculating volume. I did some experimenting and if I make the roof flat it does not give the error. However, the roof shape is a critical component of the building since there are skylights that will be added that are affected by the roof angle.

I have internalized the brep of the closed volume of the building.

By what means can I establish the building volume as requested in the error from Eplus?

BULK VOLUME TEST.gh (581.2 KB)

EnergyPlus Zone object has a field that allows you to hard-code the volume. The default is set to autocalculate. We don’t have this field exposed in honeybee but you can:

1. Manually edit the file in folder and run it outside Grasshopper.
  2. Write the idf file. Read the text into Grasshopper, use find and replace to update the file, save it and use re-run idf component to re-run the file.

Before going there I suggest you check the model and see why EnergyPlus is unable to calculate the volume of your geometry in the first place. Usually bypassing errors like this results in unreliable results.

Mustapha,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have uploaded the closed volume that represents this building. I have used the Find Non-convex tool and have corrected all indications that it makes but the Eplus component yet finds no volume and finds errors in the model. is there a way to identify the surfaces that Eplus itself has a problem with? I suspect it’s engine sees things beyond the basic geometry issues.

nVidiaII Shell.3dm (755.6 KB)

Also I am confused about the Add Glazing component where it asks about the window construction by asking about EPConstruction Vs Radiant Materials. Can you clarify the difference between these two inputs? In watching Chris’s tutorials he only has an input to the EPConstruction for the windows. What does the Radiance input give us?

Thanks again.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I fixed a few surfaces and the EnergyPlus component runs without major errors.

nvidia.gh (627.0 KB)
nvidia.3dm (1.2 MB)

The RADMaterials_ input is something that you use for the daylight simulation in Radiance and not the EnergyPlus simulation.

Devang,

OK… thanks for the help on this.

Ken