Honeybee indoor comfort simulation

Hello !
I’m trying to run a PMV simulation on a honeybee model, the report out of the simulation give me this message :

My honeybee model has been validate, I don’t know where the issu come from, need help

I recommend trying to run your model through the Model to OSM component to see more explicitly why the energy simulation has failed. Uploading this log file will also help people here on the forum understand what went wrong:

C:\Users\pierr\simulation\Unnamed\pmv_comfort_map\__logs__\logs.log

A lot of the time, people get failures on this step because they did not set up their Rhino model units system correctly.

Hi Chris thanks the help, I ran the model to OSM and it failed because of “undefined method to openstudio shade” for a door in my HB model. I checked the units in Rhino I don’t see anything wrong here, default settings. Here’s the logs.log file and some screenshot.

logs.log (682.7 KB)

Thanks for testing that, @pedro1 .

This was enough for me to recreate the issue on my end and I have just pushed a fix:

This issue is that you have specified an “orphaned” Door in your model, which is not assigned to any Honeybee Face or Room. You can’t actually model heat flow across a Door like this and so the Honeybee libraries just assume that you want to account for it as shade in the energy simulation. The same thing happens with orphaned Apertures and Faces (Walls, Roofs and Floors), which are translated to shades that block (or partially transmit) the sun.

The case of wanting to model transparent exterior screens/glass as orphaned apertures is pretty common but it’s very rare to see someone wanting to model a door as a shading element. So that’s why we did not catch this bug up until now.

Can I ask if this was actually what you were intending to do or is this just a modeling error where you actually meant to assign the Door to a parent Face that belongs to a Room?

You’re right, I think I have spot the issu in my model, Im’ working from the revit sample house wich have curtains walls panels and mullion.

As you can see, the doors and the curtains wall panel are specified as glass door and apertures, maybe the fact that they’re side by side made them orphane. The full face curtains wall panels is definied as multiple apertures side by side, so orphane.

My fauIt here! I will fix my model and post the result here
Thanks Chris :wink:

1 Like