Honeybee + Ladybug Wrong Results?

Hi all,

I’m doing kWh/m^2 analysis and I believe the results are just dead wrong. I checked my location and everything seems to be input correctly, all normals are facing correctly, time stamp is 1 year.

Somehow, the east and west facade is getting MORE kWh than the south facade…??? How on earth is this possible? The e/w facades have exposure for a shorter period of time AND have a less desirable angle. There’s no way this is correct.

For context, the SketchUp Sun Hours daylighting analysis showed correct results, where the roof (angled almost parallel to winter solstice angle) has fewer sun hours than the south facade, as it should. The e/w facades are even less, as they should be. So for this analysis, everything makes sense: the south facade is cooking and everything else isn’t.

But in the Honeybutt analysis, the e/w facades get more sunlight than the south facade. What on earth could I be doing incorrectly? Is this a thing, that the winter sun just has like no energy, but somehow more energy in the morning and evening? I must have missed a setting somewhere or messed up the timing.

Image below is winter sol.

Please help,

Jackson

You should at least clarify what is the location that is used for this study. It will also be helpful to provide a simple sample file that clarifies the point that you are trying to make. Basically read this: Ladybug Tools Forum Guidelines - faq - Ladybug Tools | Forum

From your question it looks like you are confusing sunlight hours and radiation studies which are two different concepts.

What is Honeybutt? You mean honeybee? I’m not sure why you have categorized this question under honeybee[+]?

Finally, there is a RadiationRose component which should answer your question right away. Have you tried to draw the radiation-rose?

Yes I meant honeybee, I was only kidding…

I’m not confusing them at all, they both show some kind of analysis of the sunpath, with the radiation just factoring the angle of the receiving surface to calculate kWh/m^2. I couldn’t upload more images because I’m a new user, but in previous analysis, or just common sense, the east and west facade should not receive more sunlight hours or radiation than the south, assuming we’re on the northern hemisphere.

My north arrow is correct, my normals are correct, everything seems in place.

I ended up resolving the issue by using an older file that worked. For whatever reason, this issue went away with a different GH file.

Now that I fixed the issue by using another file and not actually finding the cause of the problem, I need to add a smaller time-step in order to see more of a gradient on these e/w facades. How do I decrease the time-step and increase the data points to say, 15 minutes?