How can i calculate the temperature inside a Room?

How can I calculate the temperature in a room to find out if I am using the right shading method for my building? p.s I have Rhino 7 and Honeybee 1.4.0

Do you have any suggestions on how I can figure out the best shading methods for the facade?

I am a beginner so please tell me an easy way to calculate it with Grasshopper.

Honeybee ‘RADIANCE’ Part 1 | Ladybug tools 1.3.0 - YouTube

I used this video to see how much daylight comes in, but I don’t know if it makes sense in my situation to know how much daylight comes in. The professor said i need to know the Temp. inside the building when using the shading Methods i designed.

Hey @Haya,

In order to calculate the temperature you should run some energy simulations with the honeybee components (it uses energyPlus and Openstudio to run the simulations). Once it runs a different software (not Radiance) the model should be “build” in a different way.

I’m not sure which temperature you would like to obtain (airTemperature, operativeTemperature) since you haven’t made it clear, but I’m pretty sure you can handle it with the honeybee tools.

1 Like

I want to know the radiation temperature in the room when the shading methods are closed and when they are open to know if I used the optimal shading method or if I need to choose another one, but I’m struggling because I couldn’t find a video explaining it in the new version of Ladybug. Do you have any suggestions for me on how to calculate this?

Hi @Haya,
As @alefelipe1 explaines you will have to run an energy simulation. When downloading LBT 1.4 also a folders with samples comes with it. There you can see how a workflow can be created. After running the energy simulation you can read out the sql file by using teh HB read room comfort result.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, i worked on the sample from the honeybee energy folder and i edited it but then got an error and couldn´t calculate the HB PMV comfort Map. can you please tell me what should i do now?

@Haya,

I did use the PMV with the new LBT components yet. In the past it was a post processing operation (after running the energy simulation). But the workflow I use mostly is this one:

You will get just one value per room.

Hey @Haya ,

Erik’s suggestion is a good one if you’re just trying to evaluate comfort in the center of the room. You just need to set comfort_metrics_ to True on the Simulation Output that you then plug into the Simulation Parameters. You can even plug the resulting temperature and humidity values into the LB PMV Comfort component.

On another note, would you mind uploading that .gh file that caused the recipe failure? It’s possible that you might have found a bug in the recipe, which I will fix if I can recreate it on my end.

FYI, the rad_mod_ that you have assigned on the Shades there has no bearing on the thermal comfort maps. Only the energy properties have bearing on the thermal comfort maps.

1 Like

Can I calculate the air temperature near a outdoor surface at all?? I’m trying to map different microclimates outside a building and I need a humidity and temperature number at multiple points in the facade.

This isn’t really something to be calculated. Outdoor air is what we would generally consider “well mixed”, much like the air temperatures of individual rooms. So the “outdoor air temperature above your surface” is going to be effectively equal to whatever your EPW says.

Maybe if you had a very deep urban canyon, you might find the temperatures at the bottom of the canyon are a degree or two different from those at the top. Or if you had an urban park covering a few blocks, the air temperature in the center will be different than that at the perimeter. The Dragonfly UWG simulation can help with accounting for these cases. But the air temperature over a single surface isn’t going to be different unless it’s the size of an urban block or something like that.

Or am I not understanding your question correctly and you are actually interested in radiant temperatures above certain warmer or cooler surfaces and not the air temperature?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply… I understand what you mean, and your example of the canyon is correct.
What I’m trying to do is to use ladybug tools to map different microclimates around the building.
There are different parameters to define microclimate in ecology/botany (which is what I’m trying to integrate into my project). So to start I picked humidity/temperature criteria.
I guess what I can consider then, is MRT. imagine you have a square building… when we do a radiation or sun hour, wind direction analysis, the sun warms the surface in different ways depending on the period, context, etc… so the temperature down on the ground level will be different than the temperature on the top of the building.
What I am trying to do is to combine the temperature value at one point with the humidity level at that point and cross-reference with the humidity and temperature levels of microclimate A, B or C to map the different conditions across the building shell. Does this make sense?

Ok, so if you’re interested in radiant temperature modeling you can use the Honeybee comfort maps. See here for an example