How does honeybee calculate WSHP + DOAS?

Just like in the title. The thing is I try to make quite complicate HVAC system in my project. One of the ideas that came to my head was to model basics in Honeybee such as zones, loads, basic schedules and so on, and then, for the final part, to model HVAC in OpenStudio, then save osm, reopen the file in honeybee and to make myself some beautiful charts. And to ease the way in OpenStudio I thought that I start also the HVAC in HB and only tweak it a little bit in OS. So I got that setup made in HB.

There’s no schedules attached 'cause the simulation won’t run with them, but I thought - no problem, I can make those later in OS. Also zone temperature chart looked resonable, quite ok. Not perfect, but a good start.

So, I saved osm, reopened in OS and for a quick test I turned on simulation. And the results…

are just a little bit too big. For a electricity only like 300x too big. Usage for gas or water is enormous! Here’s my question… I know that simulations in HB are made to be “roughly estimated” but it doesn’t look even near “roughly”. So should it be like that? Or I am misinterpreting something?

@Avik ,
Sorry for the very late response. The workflow that you are imaging with starting / ending in HB while doing edits in OpenStudio is definitely do-able and I have done it myself a number of times.

One thing to note, though, is that the OpenStudio interface does not support the use of CSV schedules and Honeybee currently models such schedules by editing the IDF after exporting it from OpenStudio. So, to make sure that your schedules actually make it into the .osm file, I recommend using the "Honeybee_Annual Schedule" component (or basically any otherHoneybee schedule component except the CSV one).

As for the large energy usage, if it’s off by a factor of 300+, there’s likely something wrong with your model setup (for example, you set up your model thinking that your units were millimeters when your Rhino units were actually meters). When running the WSHP system on my end, I have been able to get pretty reasonable results, with EUIs of ~322 kWh/m2. This is a bit more than the EUI of the VAV with reheat system (299 kWh/m2) but, then again, I’m running it for the climate of Boston, where WSHP really isn’t an ideal system type unless it’s linked up to a ground condenser loop:

Maybe if you upload a small portion of your file that is enough for us to recreate the large energy usage, we can figure out what is going wrong in your model.