How much frame is considered in E+ window material component and can I change it?

Hi

I want to model a window in a wall and I am using the E+ window material component because I only know the thermal properties for the glazing unit assembly. However, my window, in reality, has a lot of frame (27%) and I would like to be able to account for that so that my solar gain is accordingly reduced. Is there a way for me to specify how much frame area I want (as an extra script for example).

Other work arounds I have tried:
I tried to make a part of the wall that has the properties of a frame and add the glazing to that (but then I assume I am getting a lot of frame because I’m not sure how much I get as a default). And then add another wall around the frame part (this runs but I get the warning that the surface overlap and the solar gain calculation will be wrong)

I have tried to reduce the total g value by calculating an averaged weighted value considering the frame is opaque and the g value of the glazed part.

I feel like both these options aren’t great and so I would be very grateful if I can simply change the % of frame at the beginning. Also, I’m not really interested in using the therm components unless I really have to, because as I said I don’t have a lot of the detailed properties available.

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Ellika

I would try using Window for defining all geometrical and material properties of the assembly. It will calculate the window properties as you are used to. Then you can export (or write down) the values into HB.
There is some example on the hydra …

-A.

Hi

Thanks for answering. It’s not exactly what I’m looking for but could you link to the examples on hydra or explain in which HB component I can input my detailed window properties ?

Thanks

Ellika

There are a couple of them: Example1 and example 2.
Saying that, there is no example on using Window, but it is not so complicated.
-A.