How should I specify the rubble stone wall?

Hi all,
I study on a historical building and it’s walls are rubble stone wall which includes morter and stone together. How should i set material layers? I attached the image.

Hi @msenalp and welcome to the forum! You have to be more specific here. For starters, are you trying to run a daylight simulation or an energy simulation? Also see here: Ladybug Tools Forum Guidelines - faq - Ladybug Tools | Forum

Hi
Yes i can run daylight and energ simulations. There is no problem for them. I just don’t know how can i know materials density. Because as you know rubble stone walls contains mortar and stone. And i don’t have any idea about ratio between them.

Hi @msenalp. Sometimes when you have unclear constructions you have to make assumptions, in this case you could model a wall construction with a single material with thermal properties averaged from both the stone and the mortar. Assuming that you know the thermal properties of both materials (you might want to check with a geologist to get the rock material right).
If you are looking for more accuracy three scenarios come to mind:

1. If both materials have similar density and conductivity, the ratio between them is meaningless and you can assume a single material for both.
  2. If materials are too different you could model a wall partitioned in smaller areas that visually look like the stone blocks in the picture above, assuming of course that the materials go from side to side of the wall (some uncertainty here). In this case you would model the two materials separately.
  3. Alternatively if each material has a different density (in which case the conductivity would likely also vary), you should study the proportion of both stone and mortar inside the wall and do a weighted average to assume the thermal properties to model a single material.

Also you could channel your inner scientist and try all three scenarios and compare them so you can share the results with us. :slight_smile:

4 Likes