How to extract ENVI-Met’s microclimate data by Ladybug

Hello
I am a student of Nanjing University, China. I’m doing research on the relationship between microclimate and building energy consumption. I have got the microclimate data through ENVI-met software. However, due to the large number of models, and each model needs to extract 24-hour microclimate data, so the workload of data extraction is very large, I hope that I can use other tools to help me complete the work of data extraction. I don’t know if ladybug can help me extract data from ENVI-met in batches. If so, how? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Virgil

Hi @Virgil,

There is a component of old lb_envimet that lets you read results, lb results reader: Old lb_envimet .
What is dimension of grid? What is max size (MB) of EDT/EDX results?

Regards,
Antonello

Hi, @Antonello

The grid dimension of the model is 98 * 98 * 14, and the size of a grid cell is 4 m* 4m * 3m. The data size in the “atmosphere” folder is 658MB, and the EDT file size per hour is 24MB. Does the data size have a big effect on ladybug reading?

Best regards
Virgil

Hi @Virgil,

I have modified a component to extract all values of all files filtered by a selected variable into a csv file. Eg. air temperature of 3d grid of all files within atmosphere result folder.
You need to use some gh native components or other plugins to manage those values inside gh.
Please, let me know if it works.
lb_envimet_write_csv.gh (378.6 KB)

Regards,
Antonello

Hi, @Antonello

Thank you very much for your help. I now find that ENVI-met can export data in NetCDF format. In this way, I can directly read the required data by writing scripts in Matlab. In addition, downloading the Excel plug-in(https://sourceforge.net/projects/netcdf4excel/) can also read NetCDF, but it may be limited to 32-bit computer systems. I’m doing this right now and busy with the upcoming interim report. I will try the method you gave me and make a comparison after the report. You can also try the new method I said. Thank you so much and thank you again.

Best regards,
Virgil

Dear Antonello,
Thank you very much for this script, and for your work in general
The script seems very interesting, I can get the script to visualize a selected variable at a specific time, but I can’t get to understand how to “export” the csv file itself, I don’t know if you can try to explain how to do that

A small suggestion for eventual improvements:

1. It would be amazing to have a function to export values from selected cells, like for instance only the cells within a specific urban canyon under exam, excluding all the rest of the model
  2. The possibility to generate comparisons between different files e.g. differences in temperature between the existing condition and the project

Thanks again and congratulation for the great work :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Pezolo,

Sorry for my late reply and thanks for your ideas. I can check if it is possible to do something with the new plugin that I have been writing.It is like Monde (2.5D modeling only for now) and I have just added components to read edt files (also UTCI, PMV, SET and so on).

You can see the project here: https://github.com/AntonelloDN/Morpho

Modeling part needs to be improved but the reading part is working well.

Best,
Antonello