How to get Honeybee Legacy working with OpenStudio 3.0

@chris no problem, sorry to bother on this post though, and yes, I confirm that Honeybee_Honeybee loaded OpenStudio 3.0.1.
One thing that it’s strange to me is that it says it loaded Energyplus 9.0.0 although I got the 9.3.0 version installed
Also, thanks so much for the attention!

Ah, therein lies the issue! I am definitely getting a clear EnergyPlus >= 9.3.0 on my end:

So it seems that your machine is using the new OpenStudio to write the IDF file but using an old EnergyPlus to execute the simulation. Can you confirm that you are using Honeybee_Honeybee from JUL_07_2020? And, if so, can you send a screenshot of what your C:/ drive looks like along with what’s inside the C:\openstudio-3.0.1 folder?

I downloaded the honeybee file from JUL_06_2020, was there some update on the files between days? I’ll download the file from JUL_07_2020 and see how it goes.

Here’s what is inside my C:/ and inside C:\openstudio-3.0.1 folder

I downloaded again the file from JUL_07_2020 and still getting this error report, what is the workaround I can do to make Honeybee recognize the Energyplus 9.3.0 instead of 9.0.0?

I’m sorry @Dconforte . I’m having a hard time recreating the issue on my end. Does “honeybee_honeybee” still say that the EnergyPlus version is >= 9.0.0 even after you are using the JUL_07_2020 version?

If you can open the attached .gh file on your machine and send me a screenshot of the outcome, that will help me debug.
hb_honeybee_test.gh (92.8 KB)

Now I get it, I was using an older version of the Honeybee_Honeybee, but still, when I ran the simulation, I still get some errors, now Honeybee is recognizing the new version of Energyplus, but still some errors ocurred.
Here’s the file I’m using attached.
Once again, thank you so much for helping me @chris, wish you all the best
ENERGY SIMULATIONTEST 06-07.gh|attachment (571.6 KB)

It looks like you accidentally broke the link to your attachment but I can see a component from JAN_01_2020 in your screenshot and I would make a wager that the error is linked to that.

Remember that you can use the “Ladybug_Update File” component to automatically sync your Grasshopper definition with whatever version of the plugins you have installed.

If this doesn’t fix things, upload your file and I’ll see if it recreates the error on my end.

Everything now works just fine, thank you so much for the support, wish you all the best Chris!

1 Like

Hi Chris,

I have downloaded the newest version of openstudio 3.0.1 and did exactly what you said. im still getting en error message: “1. Solution exception:Unable to find an entry point named ‘CSharp_OpenStudio_toPath’ in DLL ‘openstudio_csharp.dll’.”

I do not really know coding and could not figure out what does it mean. Could you please give some advise?

Hi @lml, this is because your Ladybug/Honeybee version is too old to work with newest openstudio. Please update the Ladybug/Honeybee and update the old components in you GH files.

Hello, I have downloaded the version of openstudio 3.0.1, and I have done what has been indicated above. I have changed all the components of the Honeybee to the latest ones.
However, I have still got an warning sign, as the image shows. Could this problem be solved?
Thank you.

Thank you Mingbo! Problem solved.

That’s not an issue with your version of OpenStudio, @Syo . It seems related to your geometry. I suggest opening up a separate topic and provide a sample with the minimum geometry needed to recreate the error.

i too installed this but different version showing in output.

Capture

Edit: Solved it. Thanks all

Hi, after solved the infamous problem for “OpenStudioModelCorePINVOKE” , I’ve got another bug in the next part.

I am trying to make a “Energy Simulation With Photovoltaics”
After “Honeybee_Export_To_OpenStudio” running successfully, “Honeybee_Read_generation_system_results” is looking for a .csv file from resultFileAddress. But I have this file and it has the information insdie.

I am using Rhino 6 , Rhino 7 and Ladybug Tools 1.1.0, OpenStudio 3.1.0

Analyse result with .csv inside the zip
ModelToIdf.zip (671.5 KB)
GH photovoltaics example file
Energy_Simulation_With_Photovoltaics.gh (1002.5 KB)

Hello @congzheng_zou. LBT plugins still use OS 3.0.1 officially. You can check the compatibility matrix and this post.

2 Likes

YES ! It’s working now ! Thank you very much. The compatibility matrix is so important

Hello, as I have some older scripts that I want to keep using I want to still have openstudio 2.9 installed. However I also want to be able to test the new features in Honeybee 1.1 which are connected to Openstudio 3.0+.
Is there any way to have them both installed and make grasshopper pick which Openstudio version it should run?

You can install the OS3 in the LadybugTools directory. The Legacy won’t look for this location.
-A.

2 Likes