How to Manually Add Ladybug Tools to the Rhino Python Path

FYI, I think we have identified why so many people have had to manually specify the python path. It seems that Rhino doesn’t create the settings file that the installer tries to edit if someone has never dropped a GHPython component on their Grasshopper canvas before.

We have added some code into the development version of the LBT plugin that creates this settings file if it does not exist. So, when we release LBT Grasshopper 1.2.0, people should not have to use this manual workaround anymore.

1 Like

This thread helped out lot, finally got Ladybug running! Now its doing this thing where it keep trying to update to new components. I’ve deleted the dot_net folder and it wanted to restart Rhino/Grasshopper again after that and it’s still showing up like this. Do I ignore it now or is something wrong?

Hi Chris, thanks a lot for the information.
For some reason, there are still warnings/errors when installing the LBT, any idea?

Thanks a lot, Chris.

Regards,
Chris

Yes, @IvanD ,
You can just ignore it. We haven’t updated the .gha file since the first time we created it so you are not missing out on anything. But, when we eventually update the component, you would have to delete the dot net folder, restart Rhino/GH and re-run the versioner to get the new file. This is just the only way to update the .gha files given how they work in Grasshopper. But we’ll put a note in release notes if we ever update the dot net package.

@gqia002 ,

It looks like a firewall is blocking the installation of packages from PyPI (the Python Package manager). I would either get your IT to add an exception for PyPI or just have your IT buy a single-click installer from us, which will probably save everyone a load of time.

1 Like

Hi @chris , thanks for this. Unfortunately after following all these steps, I am still having an issue installing Ladybug on my computer. Any idea what could still be holding it back?? Thanks

And to add, I attempted to follow these instructions,( Failed to import xxx: no module named xxxx LBT 1.0.0 release - #11 by chris ) but Ladybug will still not run, as per the screenshot below. Appreciate your help!! Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi @arielres,

Can you replace a folder named ‘ladybug’ at C:\Users\Admin\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages with the following zip (extracted)?

It would be good to keep rhino+gh closed while doing this. If it’s open, make sure to restart rhino+gh once this is done.

ladybug.zip (209.6 KB)

Thanks @devang . I somehow didn’t even have a ‘ladybug’ folder there, so I have now added yours. Unfortunately I am now getting a slightly different error message. (Rhino and gh were both closed at the time). Any advice now? Thanks

This clearly shows that your installation is not complete.
You should extract and place this (46.3 KB) folder at the location I mentioned in the message above.

1 Like

Thank you! Now It works fine on my Rhino7!

Thanks Dev. I have replaced the folder like you suggested and re-installed ladybug via the grasshopper installer, but am still getting an error message. Any suggestions on what might still be going wrong? (Is there any meaning to the “pip install”?)

Thanks

Hi @arielres ,

It looks like second component of the Food4Rhino installer failed to install all of the python packages via the Python Package Manager (PyPI or pip). You could try just running the second component of the installer again since it seems that maybe your internet connection just dropped out while you were in the middle of running it the first time. If that doesn’t fix it, most likely, there’s some sort of firewall that has prevented you from installing things via pip on your machine.

Hi @arielres,

What Chris has mentioned is very likely the issue, since you are having multiple issues with the installation. Meanwhile, you can place this (178.5 KB) folder at “C:\Users\Admin\ladybug_tools\python\Lib\site-packages”. This is the missing package named “click” that ladybug-rhino command line insterface uses.

How to proceed to Part 3, I can’t find this page.

Hello, I recently installed Ladybug for my Rhino 7 on Mac. I am trying to use honeybee but I get an error message “Failed to import honeybee: No module named honeybee.room.” The suggestion to the same issue posted in this forum directed me to this thread and I am trying to manually add ladybug tools to the Rhino Python Path.
I see “site-packages” in the list of Search Paths (image attached). What else should I add to this list? Could you please advise?
Thank you so much.

Assuming that you installed the plugin correctly and the site-packages folder exists on your machine, then it should all be working, @y-a-m-a-m-o-t-o . If it’s not, then perhaps the download of the libraries failed as you were running the installer and you should try uninstalling and reinstalling with a better internet connection.

Thank you Chris. I reinstalled the plugin and yes the site-packages folder exists on my machine (it is in “python3.7” < “lib” < “python” < “ladybug_tools” folder, and it is listed in the Search Paths), but I still get the same error message:
“1. Solution exception: Failed to import honeybee: No module named honeybee.room”

I am using Mac Big Sur, Rhino 7. I am new to any kind of simulations and grasshopper. My goal is to run a daylight simulation, and I hope I can get there! So far,

1. I changed the security setting, when installing ladybug, to solve the issue of getting the error message “”“python3.7” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified."

2. I installed Radiance as the instruction said I needed to. (1.2 Mac Installation Steps · ladybug-tools/lbt-grasshopper Wiki · GitHub)

3. I installed XQuartz (https://www.xquartz.org/), as suggested in “How to install Radiance on macOS?” post online (How to install Radiance on macOS? - Unmet Hours)

I restarted the computer, but I still get the same error message. I would appreciate any advice!
Thanks so much.