How to model roof for EnergyPlus?

Dear all,
I am new to EnergyPlus, but working to understand it. I mostly completed my model by watching Chris Mackey’s Honeybee Energy Modeling tutorials. Now I need to understand how to include a detailed roof in my model. Here is the roof section that I need to include:

I created the materials with EPOpaque Material from scratch but I don’t know If I just put them layer by layer or If I need to include steel beams of suspended roofs and how. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Hello!
So unless im missing somthing:
in E+ you are just going to be modeling the ‘Thermal Envelope’, while you could if you wanted: Model the space between the exterior roof assembly and the drop ceiling as a ‘plenum’:
Unless explicitly required or desired:
I would just make a HB construction for the thermal envelope of the roof I.E

2 Likes

Agree with @TrevorFedyna. I would add if there is enough exposed structure to effect the zone heat balance (i.e by adding thermal mass to the interior), you can calculate it’s total volume, divide by construction depth and model it as a internal mass with the “Internal Mass”[1] component.

And don’t forget to model the thermal bridging from steel connections, and roof/wall connections (if that level of precision is required).

[1] Internal Mass - HB-Energy Primer

2 Likes