How to set fraction values with more digits after decimal point for Honeybee_Create CSV Schecule

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to set a custom schedule for equipment in Honeybee. The values are actually the fraction numbers for each hour. When I want to use “Panel” to insert fraction values, apparently there is a limitation with maximum digits in the panel.
The first picture shows when I reduce digit numbers from three to two, the panel can contain more values but still not as many as 8760 values that I need for the entire year.
The solution that came to my mind was to use “Create Set” (second picture) from “Sets” tab in Grasshopper but the problem is that this component makes a set from lists of distinct values (let’s say I put every 2000 values in a panel and put it as input to this component) and neglects duplicated values.

Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the discourse @Fereshteh,
Not sure i understood your question, but the Merge component is not good for you?
-A.

@Fereshteh,

Fascinating! I’ve never encountered this before, but I guess there’s actually a hard limit on the memory used by the panels.

Here’s why I think this is happening: any number represented in our base 10 system is stored as a binary digits (aka bit) in the computer memory. So the number 2 in binary is represented as 10 which takes up 2 bits, 4 is represented as 100 which takes up 3 bits, 0.5 is represented as 0.1, 0.25 is represented as 0.01 etc. The relationship with significant digits can be represented roughly as log2(Base_10_number) = Significant_Digits.

In practice, this is more complicated as our bits are split between an exponent and normalized number, but for the sake of testing an idea out, if we take your first panel as an example (assuming you maxed it out), and plugging in the significant digits you used for each panel:

// 2 sig figs
(log2(1e-3) *4682)/log2(1e-2) = 7023 rows
// 9 sig figs
(log2(1e-3) *4682)/log2(1e-9) = 1560 rows

It suggests that you can get a maximum of 7023 rows in a panel if you use 2 significant digits, and 1560 rows in a panel if you use 9 significant digits, which seems to roughly correspond with the row numbers you’re showing there.

Anyway, @AbrahamYezioro should be correct, and you should be able to use the merge component, or some other GH method to concatenate multiple lists into one.

S

“Merge” component works nicely.
Thanks @AbrahamYezioro

Thanks @SaeranVasanthakumar for your sharing. I was really wondered why it is happening. Great explanation!