How to Set Up Radiance Models Without Rooms

Dear @chris,

I ran into another problem.
When I simulate with the rooms input in the “HBModell” component, I have this result:

When I simulate without the rooms input in the “HBModell” component, but through the faces/shades/aperurtes input, I have this result:

I attached the GH file:
LBT-DaylightFactor_Forum2.gh (755.5 KB)

Greetings
Liam R.

I hope you don’t mind that I moved this to a new topic, @LiamRuvio . Your issue has a very simple explanation and I’ll post it in an hour once I am available.

1 Like

I see that you have found how to setup Radiance models without the extra hierarchy of Rooms. You can just plug Faces without parent Rooms (aka. orphaned Faces) directly into the Model component and not having the extra Room hierarchy can make it faster to set up certain models. However, even if you don’t have Rooms, you still have the hierarchy of parent Faces and children Apertures or Doors and this is what was incorrect about the file you uploaded. The Faces that you plugged into your flattened (non-Room) Model did not have the child Apertures assigned to them and so the profile of the Apertures wasn’t correctly “punched” out of them. If you plug in your Faces with the Apertures assigned to them into your flattened Model, then everything works and the results match:

LBT-DaylightFactor_Forum2_CWM.gh (752.8 KB)

More info about the tradeoffs of keeping your Model flat or nested (aka. with Room heirarchy) can be found here on the honeybee-schema wiki:

Dear @chris,
thanks for all your help and the time taken to explain this work-flow.

I was fooled by the input “apertures” in the “HBModel” component.
Can you confirm that I can also insert all the faces and openings of different rooms in a single “AddSubFace” component, without having to split it (for each room) as you did in the example??
It is just to remove the last doubt!!

Thanks and greetings
Liam R.

@LiamRuvio ,

Yes, the _apertures input on the Model component is only for the case where you don’t assign the Apertures to a parent Face and you have manually punched out any openings in the Face geometry. If you have the option, I recommend NOT manually punching the Faces and just assigning the Apertures to the parent like in the sample I posted. But we support the alternative workflow for the cases that call for it.

And, yes, you can use just one “HB Add Subface” component in your example instead of two and the component will automatically figure out which Apertures belong with which parent Face. In other words, all combinations of parent _hb_obj and _sub_faces are checked. You can even use the “HB Add Subface” component to assign a single interior aperture to two adjacent Rooms at once.

2 Likes

@LiamRuvio Just found this post and it’s most useful. But how did you get your analysis grid to produce those nice smooth contours?

Thanks

D