How to set window opening for windows with different fract_area_oper in the same room?

How can I set a room up with Awning windows having 60% operable area and Jalousie windows having 95%?

It’s the same as this topic, but I can’t figure out how to do this in version 1.6.0.

Test Unit 1.gh (90.8 KB)

This is currently what I’ve come up with. I’m not sure if this is working as intended so would be grateful for any feedback.

Hi @sinag,

I think the set up you have there will apply the second window opening control to all openings.

There might be a way to do this with the components, but I feel like this might be something that you need a python component for.

If you look at the code in the HB Window Opening component:

Hopefully you’ll be able to follow the logic of how the window opening is being assigned.

It might be possible to use some of this code, but instead of applying the vent opening to the room, it may be possible to apply it to the aperture by doing

vent_aps = aperture.properties.energy.assign_ventilation_opening(vent_open)

You’d then have to build some logic to filter the apertures to assign one type of control to one set and another to the other set.

@charlie.brooker Thank you for pointing me to this possible solution! I’ve never tried making a python component yet so I don’t know if I can make anything of this but I’ll try.

Hi @sinag,

I think this would work for you, but you’d need to test it thoroughly.

HB Opening Assign Different fract_area_oper.gh (38.4 KB)

to change the variables you need to double click on the python components I’ve made and manually edit the variables in there. You could expose them as an input if you like, but takes a little more set up.

f_area = 0.5
f_height = 1.0
discharge = 0.45
vent_open = VentilationOpening(f_area, f_height, discharge)
cross_vent = True
vent_open.wind_cross_vent = cross_vent

aperture.properties.energy.vent_opening = vent_open

a = aperture

@charlie.brooker thank you so much for this! I’ll be able to test this weekend and will reply how that goes.