HVAC System - Simulation error with baseline system 1 and 2

Hi everybody,

I am trying to compare the energy demand of a high-rise residential building under different HVAC systems.

To this end I used the the following

For most HVAC systems (such as system 4,7,8) the code runs properly. However, for system 1 (PTAC residential) and 2 (PTHP residential) the following errors are displayed:

1. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:
      ** Severe ** Standard Ratings: Coil:Cooling:DX:SingleSpeed COIL COOLING DX SINGLE SPEED 60 has zero rated total cooling capacity. Standard ratings cannot be calculated.
    1. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error:
      ** Severe ** Sizing: Coil:Cooling:DX:SingleSpeed COIL COOLING DX SINGLE SPEED 60 has zero rated total capacity

I would appreciate your help!

@LizRivera ,

That’s not an error. It’s a warning the E+ is giving. It’s just that EnergyPlus determined that there was no need for cooling given the climate you are working in and the thermostat set points of your building. So EnergyPlus is just letting you know that all of the cooling equipment for that HVAC template is unnecessary (though having it there doesn’t compromise your simulation).

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the fast reply.
It seems that it is more than just a warning since the simulation is never completed.
The last warning message says the following:
4. The simulation has failed because of this fatal error: **
** ** Fatal ** Preceding condition causes termination.

You are also using pretty old components. Try updating and, if that doesn’t work, then please provide more information like what version of OpenStudio you are using, what climate you are in, and if possible, post an example file with the minimum needed to recreate the issue.

The forum guidelines are a good reference here.

Hello!

I am having the same problem,
*1. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error: *

• ** Severe ** Standard Ratings: Coil:Cooling:DX:SingleSpeed COIL COOLING DX SINGLE SPEED 3 has zero rated total cooling capacity. Standard ratings cannot be calculated.*
    *2. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error: *
  • ** Severe ** Sizing: Coil:Cooling:DX:SingleSpeed COIL COOLING DX SINGLE SPEED 3 has zero rated total capacity*
    *3. The simulation has not run correctly because of this severe error: *
  • ** Severe ** Sizing: Coil:Cooling:DX:SingleSpeed COIL COOLING DX SINGLE SPEED 3 has zero rated air flow rate*
    this gets solved when I remove the coolingsetpoint of 60 (no cooling). However it’s important for me to have this parameter.

My version of open studio is 2.9.0 . I don’t think my version of the components is very old… Is there any other workaround?

Thank you!

Hi,mkdg,
I met the same problem recently,
Have you solved it?I would appreciate it if you can give me some advice.