HVAC templates - Finding the equivalent system

Dear Ladybug community,

I am based in the Netherlands and for my model I would like to select the HVAC type “condensing gas boiler with radiators”. I could not find this in the HVAC template or something that would be similar to it - the shown heating types are mostly air-based heaters.
What would be you the right equivalent from the template list (DOAS, HEatCool, AllAir)?
Thank you!

Hi @mkdg

You can use Ironbug for this.

You could use system 1.
Set the COP a little bit higher and get the boiler heating rate oupt.

Dear @Erikbeeren, thank you for the quick reply!

I have set the system 1 and changed the efficiency of the boiler to 0.9 as you suggested (see below).

What do you mean by “get the boiler heating rate oupt”?

monument_building_energy_model_2.2.gh (977.0 KB)

Thank you!

If you use the standard Hb HVAC templates, you will get the values in [kWh] electricity, because the standard template uses an electrical boiler. But as you are using Ironbug you can define a gas boiler. In that case I think you will get the result values in the correct units.
afbeelding

1 Like

Yes, for fuel I will use the default which is “natural gas”. The product is a HR100 boiler
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoogrendementsketel, should the Efficiency of the ObjParams set to 1?

Thank you for your help, I am just starting to use Ironbug, it’s very exciting! :slight_smile:

Efficiency of the ObjParams set to 1

I do not know how energyplus is dealing with heatgain due to the condensation of water which originates from the burning of gas. 1 is ok, but perhaps you could even use 1.04 or 1.07.

Energyplus can generate a lot of outputs. When You start a simulation Eplus wants to know which outputs you would like to have. Chris made a component for a standard set of outputs. But sometimes to understand better what is going you would like extra outputs. In Honeybee legacy you will have to ad these outputs manualy in the code of the Honeybee Generate Output component. With the read custom result you can read the requested information.

With the new LBT Honeybee version there is a special component for generating custum outputs.

With the heating rates you get thermal loads instead of electricity or fuel energy. So without efficiency factors.

For finding out which outputs are possible you can use the “read result dictionary”

afbeelding

1 Like

Thank you for the clear answers and all the details!! This is very helpful, will try this out!

@Erikbeeren , I tried to adapt the old model mentioned earlier in this thread with the new openstudio component (eg. using the HB run OSM).
Please see below:

The model runs without problem but the results mention that a share of the heating is generated from " Natural Gas" (choice that I want, as default) and a share from “District heating” (which is not correct, I only use a natural gas boiler for the house).
Is there another adjustment to set so that I use only Natural Gas?

Hi @mkdg,

If you want to know what is going on you can open the openstudio file with the openstudio app. In the tab HVAC you can see what you created.

Thank you for your advice! First time I use the app which is very interesting :slight_smile: I’ve uploaded the osm file and have the results below:

So it seems like the 2nd image “service water loop” uses “Service hot water district heat”. I would like to have only “Boiler hot water”.

Is it possible to modify the template ironbug “syst1 - PTAC” so that it uses only natural gas as a source and using the “HB run OSM”? @MingboPeng
Thank you!

I tried to use simply the template “PTAC with gas boiler” from honeybee but I also get heating from both natural gas and district heating…

Is there a way to model a natural gas boiler with the new honeybee 1.2.0?

It’s very important for my model, thank you!

Yes, you are modeling heating with baseboards and a natural gas boiler when you use “PTAC with gas boiler”.

The district heating is likely for the service hot water usage (eg, showers, dish washing, etc.)