Hvac with radiant floors- district heating-cooling

Hello,
the purpose of my research is to set a detailed hvac system that take energy from district heating and district cooling to heat and cool thermal zones by means of radiant panels that are supposed to work both in winter and summer. A dehumidifier was added to help radiant panels during summer.
I started with the Radiant+DOAS configuration and i made these changes.

is this workflow correct?
Than, looking at results it seems that the system don’t have a control on internal operational temperature of thermal zones. Trying to contol temperatures on the radiant part of the script seems that nothing is changing. How should i asses this issue?

My GH definition is attached here.

https://we.tl/t-48T79lKTlu

Thanks!

Hi @Andrea_Tale did you test the model without radiant system?

Can you show the temperature comparison for one zone with and without radiant system?

Hi @MingboPeng thank you for your reply!
So, this is the temperature profile along a year of one zone with the radiant section on:

and this is the error that appear when i disconnect the radiant part:

Of coarse there is a source missing both on Hw loop and in the compensated chilled loop since there is nothing on demand side.

Could you disconnect the hot water loop? It should be running this time.

This is the comparison with the previous case (blu line) with the only chilled water loop and Doas working.
it seems that cooling is working for most of the hours.

So the blue line is with radiant system, and red one is without radiant system, right?
If yes, this chart clearly shows the radiant system is working, isn’t it?

Yes you are right, but considering all the zones this is not happening. let me explain; this is what i’m aspecting from the results. Only one zone is unconditioned while all the others are inside the boundaries 20-26°C as heating and cooling set point.

what is happening after the simulation with radiant loop connected is this

That the system is overheating in some cases and in others is not heating at all. Same for cooling.

These are three different zones of the same result set.

From your output, I am seeing the three groups of results:

I would suggest you to pick one zone of each group, and take closer look by doing the same test you did above (compare room temperature with/without radiant system).

Firstly thanks for your time, then i have another question. What is the correct way to control room temperature, in this case, with IB? should i connect a schedule to control when hvac should be on or off? if yes where? it seems that i missed some steps.
While, if i connect a schedule, how can i tell to IB ok cooling is on only when room temperature is above 28°C and shut it down when 26°C are reached? and Heating in the same way.

Hi all,
@chris @MingboPeng

I conducted a comparison of energy usage among various HVAC systems. The findings indicate that the energy consumption associated with district heating (utilizing data from ladybug samples) is over two times greater than that of a heat pump with a COP of 3.3. It’s unclear whether the energy consumption attributed to district heating accounts for the energy expended in the supply, distribution, and the auxiliary HVAC systems within buildings needed to attain the desired temperature?

I was wondering if I can have the code for district heating and cooling in Ironbug, I couldn’t find it among samples.

Thanks

Hi @Mariafa ,

You’re comparing apples and oranges here:

When you use district systems in OpenStudio, the energy use that you get out is the thermal energy of the hot and cold water (effectively, you’re externalizing the whole heating and cooling plant from the EnergyPlus calculation). Conversely, the energy use of a heat pump is electricity. So, if your heat pump is producing hot water and has a rated COP of 3.3, the energy use of the district system will be 3.3 times that of your heat pump when it’s operating at its rated conditions. Clearly, in your case, it’s not operating at these rated conditions all of the time, which is how you end up with 2 times the energy use instead of 3.3 times.

Does that make it clear what is going on?

Hello @chris

Thanks it is clear.

1 Like

Hello, I am masterdegree student and in my thesis I am working with radiant cooling. I am created my base model but I am living hard time to add radiant cooling to the model. Do you know any reference files or sources to get the informations about radiant cooling?