Inclusion of Wind Speed at Higher Elevation for Window Natural Ventilation Option

Hello All,

I’m running an indoor comfort analysis using Adaptive Comfort Calculator component.
The open office floor that I’m analyzing is at 38th floor in NYC. The floor is about at 150m above ground.

I’ve set natural ventilation type to Window Natural Ventilation using Set EP Airflow component.
Now I’m wondering if there’s a way to include increased wind speed at that height using Wind Speed Calculator component. I see there’s an input for wind speed on Adaptive Comfort Calculator component but I think it’s primarily for setting interior wind movement caused by fans.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hi, @yoshikawa.
1.As I know, Adaptive Comfort Calculator component is used for outdoor comfort ,not for indoor comfort.
2.If you wish to get the wind speed at 150m above ground, you can use wind profile compotent to calculate it . The last item of wind speeds output is wind speed at 150m above ground.

Hope my answer can help you.

@minggangyin,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry coming back to this late.

I do believe that Adaptive Comfort Calculator is used for calculating indoor comfort level where building occupants can open windows. Outdoor comfort is calculated by using Outdoor Comfort Calculator. Although I remember seeing that @chris using the Adaptive Comfort Calculator component for calculating outdoor comfort level in one of his video tutorials…

Anyways, I know that we can get wind speed output at a specific height using Wind Speed Calculator. However, my question was that when I run calculations for indoor comfort level using Adaptive Comfort Calculator, is the increased wind speed considered in the calculation/analysis if I’m running the analysis for a higher floor of a skyscraper.

Thanks!

@yoshikawa ,

@minggangyin pointed you to half of the answer by referencing the wind profile component. The other critical piece of information that you need to know is that this “power-law” wind profile is built into EnergyPlus and EnergyPlus will use it to estimate the wind speed at a window in your model. The way it does this is by looking at how far your model is above the EnergyPlus origin, which in the case of honeybee is the same a the Rhino origin. So, if you place your test box energy model at 100 meters above the Rhino origin, EnergyPlus will use the wind profile to account for the higher speeds at your window that is 100 meters off the ground. This way, you will get a higher flow rate of outdoor air through an open window at this height than you would on the ground. Of course, all of this is contingent upon you having an energy model where there is cross ventilation (windows on opposite sides of the same zone). Without this, the increased wind speed from being higher off the ground won’t have a significant effect on the model.

And, yes, the input on the adaptive comfort component is only meant for increased air speed that is directly felt by the occupants. So you are right that it is meant more for cases like ceiling fans.

And lastly, I would just clarify that the adaptive comfort model is specifically for indoor comfort of naturally ventilated buildings (not air conditioned buildings and not for the outdoors). So you are right, @yoshikawa and, if I used the adaptive comfort component on outdoor data in one of my videos, I probably should not have done that. The UTCI model in the outdoor comfort calculator or the PET model in the thermal indices component are the correct models to use for outdoor comfort.

1 Like

@chris,

Thank you for your reply. Now I’m a little closer to be able to run accurate energy model simulations.

Thanks!

Hola, how did you create this vertical wind profile? thanks in advance