Inconsistent results between Open Studio 3.5 and 3.6.1

Hello All

Is there an explanation on why the results are hugely inconsistent specifically for Heating / Cooling Loads between open studio versions on the same script and model? did some of the defaults change? since I’m sticking to the general defaults.
did any of the default modifier set actually change?

Hey @tay.0 ,

I’m a little confused that you are asking about Radiance Modifiers but the title of your topic is about OpenStuido. For now, I’ll run with the assumption that you’re only asking about OpenStudio and energy simulation properties.

Within the last month, we changed over the blended building programs to use ASHRAE 90.1 2019 assumptions instead of ASHRAE 90.1 2013 (as they had been using previously). So lighting power density of these blended building programs should be a lot lower now that we’re all using LEDs and probably the plug loads increased for some programs given that we continue to add more electronic devices to our buildings.

The thought was that these default blended building programs, which are made for rough comparative energy studies, should stay up-to-date with the latest energy code. If you’re trying to do a forecast of actual building energy use, then you should be zoning your model and using Room programs like “2019::MediumOffice::OpenOffice” and not just plugging in the Building “MediumOffice” for the program, which is going to try to give you a blend of all the IT spaces, conference rooms, rest rooms, etc. that are in a full MediumOffice building (all following the latest standard).

So that’s probably why your energy use of your case above changed so much. Is that clear?

1 Like

Hello Chris,

That makes sense, I thought that something with the general building programs is being handled.

Your assumption is correct. It is the output from the OSM that drastically change since I upgraded to 1.7

Thank you for explaining that.

1 Like