Influence of natural ventilation in E+ simulation?

Hello,

I’m working on a generic shoebox model to better understand how ventilation is taken into account in E+ calculations. One of my main constraint is that I can’t use air cooling.

The situation I am facing right now is the following:

• I’ve created a custom ProgramType that has a value of 0.004167 for flow_per_person (the standard I am following here is 15 m3/h/person).
  • I’m using a custom ConstructionSet that represents the standard construction materials we are usually using in the firm I’m working for.

From this, I’ve already managed to optimise my opening ratio, the orientation of my openings, shades, etc.

My struggle right now is about the operable windows, and these two components:

I think I understand their inputs, but when I try using them I get results that I don’t understand.

I’m particularly working on confort during hot summer days, and while I optimised my model orientation, openings ratio and shades to have an indoor temperature well below outside temperature (around -5 °C to -10 °C from outside temperature which is 34.4 °C), I find myself with temperature increasing when my windows become operable and that I start playing with these components.

From what I understand, I’m letting the hot outside temperature entering in my model. This is counterintuitive since I experienced the opposite: opening windows and having an air flux is creating a more comfortable situation, and usually permits to lower temperature.

What would be the best way to work on these factors? I think I’m really missing something about the ability to work with ventilation in E+ simulations.

Thank you,

Hi @av,

Thinking about a real scenario, if your internal temperature is 5-10C lower than external I would expect you would want to keep the windows closed to avoid bringing the warmer external air inside.

Are you talking about the cooling effect experienced from increased air movement? (eg standing below a ceiling fan)

I’m pretty confident that E+ (and so Honeybee) does not account for any increased air movement due to window opening, it will only model the heat transfer of warmer air passing into the space from the outside.

Hi @charlie.brooker,

Thank you for your answer.

Thinking about a real scenario, if your internal temperature is 5-10C lower than external I would expect you would want to keep the windows closed to avoid bringing the warmer external air inside.

This makes sense, but in real scenarios, the users would have to open their windows at some point to evacuate the CO2 (I’m working on projects for which we would like to achieve zero mechanical ventilation, only natural ventilation).

That’s a different topic from my first question, and I read this, which is already a good answer about air quality in my case.

Are you talking about the cooling effect experienced from increased air movement? (eg standing below a ceiling fan)

It is exactly my point: even if you increase the air of 4-6 °C by opening the windows, the comfort that you get from increased air movement could be better for some people than being in a closed room.

I’m pretty confident that E+ (and so Honeybee) does not account for any increased air movement due to window opening, it will only model the heat transfer of warmer air passing into the space from the outside.

So as a conclusion, this answers my question, thank you! :slight_smile: I think the problems I am facing is about the user behaviour simulation more than the building at this point.

1 Like